Need PC Build Advice for my Daughter

Sadude

Limp Gawd
Hello all. I am building a budget friendly PC for my daughter. She's in kindergarten and uses the PC for lots of online HW. At the moment she's using her brother's PC (2nd Grader), he also uses the PC for HW so there is a conflict of time/usage.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Homework (Elementary School) Simple online. gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included? $500 or cheaper (including Monitor)
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible. USA (Florida)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need. I am not reusing anything. I need a Case (preferably pink), RAM, keyboard/mouse, motherboard, CPU, ONBOARD Soundcard is ok!, Video card (haven't decided might use onboard), DVD writer/player, operating system, Hard Drive, and monitor
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model. NOT APPLICABLE
6) Will you be overclocking? NO
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it? 17" - 19" resolution not an issue.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC? ASAP
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc. The bare essentials, USB, SATA, possible onboard video,onboard sound, WIFI access
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit? No I need an OS!

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
I dont like preloaded/manufactured big brand PC's. I'd rather built her something decent that she can use for a few years that doesn't come with a ton of preloaded garbage. plus does dell make PINK PC's? I realize that this may sound silly, but she's my little girl and I'll do anything for her. She loves her PC time! I want to encourage it with something she'd like to use/see. She's pretty much learned how to read with the aid of her teacher and a killer online program...

I dont like preloaded/manufactured big brand PC's. I'd rather built her something decent that she can use for a few years that doesn't come with a ton of preloaded garbage. plus does dell make PINK PC's? I realize that this may sound silly, but she's my little girl and I'll do anything for her. She loves her PC time! I want to encourage it with something she'd like to use/see. She's pretty much learned how to read with the aid of her teacher and a killer online program...

A $500 budget including monitor and OS just isn't possible....

Can someone prove me wrong?

Like the other guy said, you might have to go with a dell refurb or something.

ok lets set budget (a finite number) aside... recommend me a good affordable build and we'll go from there.

I'm willing to spend a little more

Needing Wi-Fi is going to limit and increase the base price of your motherboard. A decent wireless adapter is still going to cost you $40-$60 anyway. This includes a good budget IPS monitor for under $600 and some more decent parts for your money.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($93.29 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY XLR8 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.63 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Enermax ECA3253-PW ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($139.98 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech MK200 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($18.49 @ NCIX US)
Total: $591.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-05 15:09 EST-0500

If you want to add a discrete GPU for some medium gaming, I'd go cheaper on the monitor and get an AMD Radeon R7 265 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti. They go for around $100-$120. Like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150719

If you go any cheaper on the video card I think you'd be wasting your money. A 250X is probably as low as I'd go, but the deal on the 265 I linked above is currently around the same price.

I did a similar system for the wife as the toughest game she runs is like farmville and shit like that, so the A6/A8 works great. The only thing I can suggest over the above build would be a cheap add in CPU fan. I know that adds to the price, but IMO the stock A6/A8 fan is just too loud and constantly running. I bought the wife a 212 something or other for like 15 bucks and it is damn near silent.

That's actually damn solid!

Although I would DEFINITELY double that ram from 4GB to 8GB. FOR SURE.

And just pick up a wifi card like this for $30:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...irelessNetworking-_-VisNav-_-ASUS-PCE-N15-_-5

8GB of RAM is not needed. I imagine I do more on my laptop with 2GB of RAM than this kid will do on their desktop with 4GB of RAM w/ much faster CPU and a better hard drive.

With that being said, OP should stick with an AMD APU build. Since it will offer the best gaming experience without the need of a discrete GPU.

Back