• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

need p4 advice

myktek

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 16, 2004
Messages
244
so i picked up this older HP laptop that uses socket 478 mPGA processors in it and it came with a p4 2.80ghz Northwood and it runs pretty hot already.

I was wondering if I should put in my 3.2ghz Prescott with HT?

I know it's gonna get even hotter, but i'll benefit from the 800mhz fsb compared to the 533 on the northwood.

i just want opinions if you would slap it in or not?
 
You'll fry the laptop with a prescott, those ran significantly hotter than northwood even at the same clock and I doubt it is the same socket.
 
I believe that there was a 3.4ghz mobile P4. I had an Inspiron 9100 that had one. I would check ebay and see if you can find it. But beware of heat. Those P4's are heat mongers.
 
The Prescott will run hotter and draw more power (possibly/probably more than the laptop's voltage regulation circuitry can handle). Probably not a great idea.
 
probably wont work, even if it did the laptops heatsink arrangement probably couldnt handle it.
 
Back
Top