• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need Opinions on situation

flexnit

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 24, 2003
Messages
124
Hey guys,

I have been working on a problem and I need some advice. I just recently slapped my new system together. I have a DFI LanParty II Ultra B, an Aspire 500W power supply, an AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton 333, and 3 different compatible sticks of RAM, and WD SATA 36 GB HD, and a sapphire 9800pro. I have been trying to get this system to work, but things aren't going to smooth.

For some reason, after I got XP pro installed and running, i saw in the system properties where windows was seeing the processor as an XP 1900. okay, so, i went to the BIOS and changed the multiplier and FSB to what it is supposed to be (166 and 11). When I did this, i rebooted and then i got the old BSOD. I rebooted a few more times and got syntax errors when I tried to reinstall. I then went and changed the FSB back to 133 and the mulitplier to default and everything works fine. I can boot into XP, do a reinstall of XP, etc. I can even change the FSB and multiplier to anything from 133 to around 160, and everything seems to be stable and fine. It's just when I set that FSB and multplier to 166 and 11 that the system goes to shit. I have removed all PCI devices, changed out AGP video cards, tried different sticks of RAM, and so on. I personally think the problem lies with one of three things: the power supply, the processor, or the motherboard. I need some opinions and input from you guys.

Thanks so much for any help and suggestions. Let me know if you need some more info or whatever :)
 
How much voltage is going to the CPU and what speed ram and timings are you running?
 
1.65v cpu voltage

I have one Crucial 256mb dimm, one micron 512mb dimm, and one spectek 256mb dimm. I know these aren't the best, but they work. I am running them at default settings. Optimal or whatever it's called.
 
Are they different speeds?
Increase the ddr voltage a bit.

Try using only one stick, and try setting 166 again...see what it does.
 
nope, they are both 266mhz

i have tried using only one stick and i tried both of them and it still crapped out.

increase the voltage?
 
nope, they are both 266mhz

there's your problem. When you set fsb to 166...you're increasing memory frequency to 333Mhz. Your's runs at 266 by default.

So yes..increase the voltage. Adjust it to 2.9v ...then try setting fsb to 166 again.

It won't hurt.
 
when i increase cpu clock setting to 166mhz, the "current DDR frequency" stays the same at 133mhz.

here is what everything reads

Current CPU Frequency is 1833Mhz

=====CPU/DRAM Clock Setting==========

CPU CLock Spread Spectrum Disabled
AGP Clock Spread Spectrum Disabled
CPU Clock Setting 166mhz
AGP CLock setting auto
CPU Ratio Default
DDR Ram Clock By SPD

Current DDR Frequency is 133mhz

====Overclocking Control==========

Current CPU Voltage 1.64v
Current DIMM volate 2.64v
Cpu Voltage Control Auto
AGP voltage Control Auto
Chipset Voltage Control Auto
DRAM voltage Control Auto
 
Drisler, it appears that everything is working okay now.

okay, can you or anyone here explain why i needed to increase the DRAM voltage? is there some kind of formula or chart to go by when adjusting DRAM voltage based on cpu voltage and FSB etc...


Thanks so much!
 
Back
Top