Need opinions on a Tablet sale dispute.

g1xx3r

Supreme [H]ardness
Would like you guys opinions on a recent transaction..

After over 100 sales and purchases on this forum alone without issue I guess I was bound for one with issues. Here we go..

Listed a Nexus 10 for sale in mint condition. No cracks,scuffs dead pixels etc. Retail box and items included. I bought it at launch and has been my daily driver since. Bone stock,unrooted etc. Negotiated and agreed to a lower asking price,shipped and in the buyers hands in 2 days. Buyers first complaint was that the screen protector had massive bubbles in it but he could "easily fix it". I pmed him letting him know that it was not a screen protector but the actual retail plastic packaging that it originally shipped with on the front and back. Again, I am obssessive with how I treat and keep my toys. Later on he then stated that when viewing an all white screen that there was a brown discolaration in some spots. Again, this was my daily driver for surfing,movies games etc and I never noticed this. Before I shipped it I used Antutu to check for dead pixels and screen issues and there where none.The buyer is now demanding a full refund and wants to return the tablet. I have tried to negotiate with him and also offered a partial refund and he can keep the tablet as I dont see how this makes the tablet unusable. If it was DOA or broken I would facilitate a return but for a "minor issue" under certain circumstances,I dont think its warranted. He sent me pix of what he says is the tablet in a dark room on an angle that shows faint spots.. Just for reference, I was asking $275 shipped. We agreed on $250 shipped. He also offered to return the tablet and he would accept only $200 as refund letting me keep $50. Opinions....

Is it possible that these faint spots he is seeing are due to the plastic "bubbles" on the screen?

I'm confused by your last sentence, he wants to return the tablet to you but would only accept you giving him back $200? Just take the tablet back and give him $200 lol.

Is it possible that these faint spots he is seeing are due to the plastic "bubbles" on the screen?

I'm confused by your last sentence, he wants to return the tablet to you but would only accept you giving him back $200? Just take the tablet back and give him $200 lol.

Lol, I would think that he removed it. The picture is in a totally dark room and the only thing I can see is the screen at what appears to be an angle . Can't see the actual tablet. Yes, that was his offer.

Yeah don't cause more issues for yourself then necessary. Just refund the $200 and call it a day. Make sure you let the buyer know that because your following his terms, a positive or no heat left is in order (no negitive or neutral).

that is a fair offer i would take it and call it a day

Yeah, I don't want to accuse him of anything but I guess my main concern is either not receiving the tablet I sold him or receiving a brick. Yes I took pix of the serial number and other identifiers before I shipped, but it is a concern. Again, not accusing him of being that type of guy but it would be naive to think it couldn't happen.

Make sure to have him ship it first. If you have a local shipping store, have it shipped there and have them record unpacking and serial etc... If anything goes bad, you can get their affidavit for any dispute.

Make sure to have him ship it first. If you have a local shipping store, have it shipped there and have them record unpacking and serial etc... If anything goes bad, you can get their affidavit for any dispute.

Does USPS offer this or does it have to be a specialty shipper??

correct me if wrong but usps employees are not allowed to open packages even if it yours. u will have to open it. best thing is have it shipped to ups or fedex.

that is a fair offer i would take it and call it a day

Yeah don't cause more issues for yourself then necessary. Just refund the $200 and call it a day. Make sure you let the buyer know that because your following his terms, a positive or no heat left is in order (no negitive or neutral).

correct me if wrong but usps employees are not allowed to open packages even if it yours. u will have to open it. best thing is have it shipped to ups or fedex.

Still open to suggestions but leaning in this direction..Thanks fellas.

Also, make sure that the tablet you get back is the one you sent. People have been known to bait and switch on here to get a higher quality item.

Refund after you have received the tablet. A mere tracking number (in most cases turn out to be fake) is not going to do once you process that refund and you're left with a tablet returned to you a fake/dud/swapped or not receiving it at all. I'd take the extra precaution and hold onto the buyers funds until you receive the item because I've seen too many of these after sale transactions turn sour.

Personally I'd tell the buyer to go pound sand and call bullshit on something I've sold and handled with extreme care described otherwise when the buyer receives the item. That's just me but if you want a no hassle no drama refund/return, follow above as posted.

Refund after you have received the tablet. A mere tracking number (in most cases turn out to be fake) is not going to do once you process that refund and you're left with a tablet returned to you a fake/dud/swapped or not receiving it at all. I'd take the extra precaution and hold onto the buyers funds until you receive the item because I've seen too many of these after sale transactions turn sour.

Personally I'd tell the buyer to go pound sand and call bullshit on something I've sold and handled with extreme care described otherwise when the buyer receives the item. That's just me but if you want a no hassle no drama refund/return, follow above as posted.

PayPal would probably just side with the buyer and have to do the $250 refund.

PayPal would probably just side with the buyer and have to do the $250 refund.

Not always as I've had a case similar to this with an old Acer Iconia A500 tablet I sold a moon ago, calling Paypal directly and explaining things in person over the phone helps a great deal over posting responses on paypal's claims and dispute website section.

Not always as I've had a case similar to this with an old Acer Iconia A500 tablet I sold a moon ago, calling Paypal directly and explaining things in person over the phone helps a great deal over posting responses on paypal's claims and dispute website section.

This is true. I also many moons ago had a similar situation. Guy actually tried to switch the item. I always keep records of my serial numbers so it worked in my favor.

Wow, would have been nice to know this thread was here, I did not think this was this big of an issue, guess that was not the case.

I had nor have any intentions of screwing you over, with that being said my reasoning for my $200 shipped return offer was:
I sent you $250 for this item, after PayPal fees you probably made $242.45 (estimated), then $13 shipped to me (rounding up to the next dollar), this means you should have made around $229.45.
In an effort to get this situation put behind us I was willing to take a $30+ hit so there would be no ill will on either side (you get your device back and did not lose any money, I am not stuck with a device I was unhappy with.)

In full disclosure, before re-packaging the device I did make a video documenting the visual defect to the best of my ability and capturing the serial number off of the box, and via the status menu of the device to assure it was the same unit.

USPS still has this slated for delivery by today, hopefully that is the case, if there are any issues please let me know, you have my number if needed.

*edit*

09.02.14 Due to the holiday I guess USPS's delivery will be a day behind as it has not been delivered yet.

*edit 2*

09.03.14 This shit is getting irritating, hopefully the shipment will be moving tonight/tomorrow, it was slated for "estimated delivery" Tuesday, gave it a day due to the Holiday and figured they were a day behind, will see what happens tomorrow.

*edit 3*

09.04.14 I have opened an investigative claim with USPS this morning, I am expected to get a call tomorrow by my local post master.

*edit 4 *

09.05.14 Did not hear anything as promised today, I called and was told "Monday at the latest" is when I will be getting a return phone call, starting to think i will never see this package again.

*edit 5*

09.09.14 Received one phone call from the USPS office I shipped the device from Monday 8th, they are going to be contacting the last known location the package was scanned at and attempt to find out where the package is, was hoping for a follow-up call that same day but did not get one, will see what today brings otherwise I will be calling said office for an update mid-late afternoon.
This device has apparently already been re-sold prematurely by g1xx3r in anticipation of receiving the device back, hopefully this matter gets resolved so he can make good on that promise.

09.09.14 Contacted local USPS office, spoke with the individual that called me the other day, he has not heard anything from the distribution center of which he e-mailed on Monday in an attempt to get an update on the package, I am supposed to follow-up with him tomorrow and see where he got with communications.

*edit 6*

09.10.14 @ 1:10 PM I called back to the local USPS office again today, the Post Master was out for lunch as of the time of my call, he should hopefully get a call back when he returns.
09.10.14 @ 5:00 PM Finally spoke with the local post master, he has not been able to get in touch with the sorting facility that currently has the package, they have apparently as of very recently moved and he "does not have a working contact number for them" which to me is bullshit, he has sent e-mails to a group of people that work in that facility already however they do not start their shifts until around 8:00 PM CST, I hope to hear something back tomorrow but who knows at this point, will keep updating my post as I have been.

Last edited:
This device has apparently already been re-sold prematurely by g1xx3r in anticipation of reviving the device back, hopefully this matter gets resolved so he can make good on that promise.

Item has not been resold.

Not sure why he would imply that.My original for sale thread was reopened and updated in anticipation of this being returned to me with full disclosure about the "issue" the previous buyer stated.I have not bumped the thread in a few days as obviously there has been an issue with it being delivered.I also told him this through PM so again, I have no idea about why he would post that. Will update as needed.

Item has not been resold.

Not sure why he would imply that.My original for sale thread was reopened and updated in anticipation of this being returned to me with full disclosure about the "issue" the previous buyer stated.I have not bumped the thread in a few days as obviously there has been an issue with it being delivered.I also told him this through PM so again, I have no idea about why he would post that. Will update as needed.

Was more so directed to the "I also have a potential local sale on hold. Getting a little nervous." comment that was made, which to me translates to exactly what I said "re-sold prematurely" as you made an arrangement to flip the tablet to someone as soon as it was back in your possession, also you don't have to talk about me in third person, I am right here.

09.10.14 @ 1:10PM - Back to the situation at hand, I called back to the local USPS office again today, the Post Master was out for lunch as of the time of my call, he should hopefully get a call back when he returns.

(also adding this update to my other post to keep it current)

Was more so directed to the "I also have a potential local sale on hold. Getting a little nervous." comment that was made, which to me translates to exactly what I said "re-sold prematurely" as you made an arrangement to flip the tablet to someone as soon as it was back in your possession, also you don't have to talk about me in third person, I am right here.

09.10.14 @ 1:10PM - Back to the situation at hand, I called back to the local USPS office again today, the Post Master was out for lunch as of the time of my call, he should hopefully get a call back when he returns.

(also adding this update to my other post to keep it current)

Dude what do you care? Do you want him to hold on to the tablet forever? Of course, he wants to sell it as soon as possible. He already lost 2-3 weeks with you? He is not violating any terms with your or screwing you. You worry about getting the tablet to him.

I hope the buyer purchased insurance on the return package.

Dude what do you care? Do you want him to hold on to the tablet forever? Of course, he wants to sell it as soon as possible. He already lost 2-3 weeks with you? He is not violating any terms with your or screwing you. You worry about getting the tablet to him.
I care because I don't want either one of us look bad in this situation, if he can re-sell it great, just don't put the cart before the horse, I am simply making sure everything is known with what is going on with this situation.

Also, I have been worried about getting said item back to him if you have seen my update log, it is not in my hands any longer so it is very limited on what I can do.

I hope the buyer purchased insurance on the return package.

Yeah $50 worth as I assumed the delivery type I used had more, and the clerk did not offer me any additional insurance so it was something I did not realize until I took a photo of the slip of which it was too late to do anything about, I rarely if ever use USPS to ship items, should have stuck with my gut instinct and not done that this time around, so this is a mistake on my part in regards to that.

09.10.14 @ 5:00 PM Finally spoke with the local post master, he has not been able to get in touch with the sorting facility that currently has the package, they have apparently as of very recently moved and he "does not have a working contact number for them" which to me is bullshit, he has sent e-mails to a group of people that work in that facility already however they do not start their shifts until around 8:00 PM CST, I hope to hear something back tomorrow but who knows at this point, will keep updating my post as I have been.

Last edited:
Usually once the package lost, very rarely they recover it. I used to work at fedex and did a seasonal work at usps and ups and they all are the same. Once a while they end up at unclaimed due to shipping label or address label came off. Hopefully they recover your package.

Good luck...

I care because I don't want either one of us look bad in this situation, if he can re-sell it great, just don't put the cart before the horse, I am simply making sure everything is known with what is going on with this situation.

Also, I have been worried about getting said item back to him if you have seen my update log, it is not in my hands any longer so it is very limited on what I can do.

Yeah $50 worth as I assumed the delivery type I used had more, and the clerk did not offer me any additional insurance so it was something I did not realize until I took a photo of the slip of which it was too late to do anything about, I rarely if ever use USPS to ship items, should have stuck with my gut instinct and not done that this time around, so this is a mistake on my part in regards to that.

Usually once the package lost, very rarely they recover it. I used to work at fedex and did a seasonal work at usps and ups and they all are the same. Once a while they end up at unclaimed due to shipping label or address label came off. Hopefully they recover your package.

Good luck...

Time will tell.

Really could not have said it better. Of course now, tablet in limbo and not wanting to spend the sale money not knowing how this will turn out. Not a lot of faith in USPS now.Original delivery date was Sep. 2nd and a week later it shows like its still in Texas..:confused: So, if this thing never turns up, then what??

Really could not have said it better. Of course now, tablet in limbo and not wanting to spend the sale money not knowing how this will turn out. Not a lot of faith in USPS now.Original delivery date was Sep. 2nd and a week later it shows like its still in Texas..:confused: So, if this thing never turns up, then what??

Have you refunded the money as of yet? If he did not purchase the 2 dollars worth of insurance to make sure it gets back to you I would have to say he is out of luck. He would be able to file a claim for the 50.00 of included insurance but other than that USPS does not care.

Then I am fucked is the bottom line. =)

Have you refunded the money as of yet? If he did not purchase the 2 dollars worth of insurance to make sure it gets back to you I would have to say he is out of luck. He would be able to file a claim for the 50.00 of included insurance but other than that USPS does not care.

No because we agreed that he would not send back the money until it was back in hand and again I had assumed something I should have not thus did not opt for said insurance as it was not offered to me as a reminder.

Last edited:

No, refund wasnt going to happen until I received and inspected it. At this point I dont know if, when and what condition it may arrive in. My worry now is that if it shows up, what kind of condition it will be in after floating around all this time.This one really went south quick.

He's going to have to file a lost package claim and get his $50 and move on. I doubt it's ever located at this point.

Sorry for the drop off.

As of this point I highly doubt the item will ever arrive.

I have been the only proactive one on the case as far as making phone calls and trying to get updates as the local PO is not really keeping me as informed as I would like on this situation, going to make one more call today and see if there is any hope, otherwise this item has been apparently sacrificed to whatever gods they worship in the distribution center.

Sorry for the drop off.

As of this point I highly doubt the item will ever arrive.

I have been the only proactive one on the case as far as making phone calls and trying to get updates as the local PO is not really keeping me as informed as I would like on this situation, going to make one more call today and see if there is any hope, otherwise this item has been apparently sacrificed to whatever gods they worship in the distribution center.

More like "Stolen by whoever felt like it".

My dad used to work as the technicians supervisor in a giant sorting facility for USPS, sometimes packages would go "missing" and you would later find out, someone appropriated the said package.

May or may not be getting somewhere, though it is taking its sweet time, somewhat of an glimmer of hope:

There was a consolidation of two warehouses around the time my package arrived, thus there has been a rash of other claims like mine that have gone missing, some of these packages have been recovered...mine has not....yet...
Going to follow-up with the post master again tomorrow as he is going to contact the facility and see where the progression stands.

Back