Need opinions (Headphones)

Term-X

2[H]4U
Howdy,

I am apparently going to need to buy another set of headphones since my current ones have been falling apart for some time (the wonders of tape) and now finally one can has ceased to operate altogether.

I started some years ago with the Grado SR-80s. They were great on sound but I had a few issues with them. They were not very comfortable (even with extra padding) and I had the housing for the cables crack/wear very easily over time. After the second time I dropped them and bought the Panasonic RP-HT770s. It was a step down in sound quality but it was great for me because the housing was made out of a cloth fabric. But as above, after a couple of years, I started getting problems with the framework of the headset breaking down.

So I am looking for a pair of headphones now that excel in audio quality but also can stand the test of time. Replaceable parts are a plus, cloth housing in particular is a plus and closed cans are as well. I currently do not have a real headphone amp but may consider one in the future. I am running a Terratec Aureon 7.1 soundcard for the time being. I have currently found the following headphones to be of interest to me: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 Art, Sennheiser HD 555 and Sennheiser HD 595.

If anyone has any opinions, preferably with experience with the above products, I would love to hear about it. I am not entirely opposed to hearing about products not listed above. I should also mention my budget is around $200 USD.

Thanks in advance,

T-X

used Beyer 880s 250ohm are probably the best bet if you want an all-around phone for under $200. Not a ton of bass slam but really nice sound stage and details. Better than anything you listed by a noticeable amount. They work fine out of a soundcard but sound best with an amp.

pm Mister X here about a mini3 amp

What are you going to be using these for?

I'll share my experiences with the A900/HD595:
A900: Good extension at both ends of the spectrum, but slightly hollow midrange. Was not my cup of tea, as the midrange just made the music sound lifeless to me.
HD595: Overall fairly balanced sound. It doesn't seem to do anything well in particular, but does not seem to do anything bad either. I'd say it's a good choice for an all-around can, but you'll find that other cans do certain things better and might leave you wanting more (a common condition called upgraditis).

My current progression has been from the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's to the HD 595's to a set of Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80's.

If I want to relax and listen to music or watch a movie I put on the 595's because they're seriously so comfortable there's times when I forget I'm wearing them. One thing worth noting: They're right around $200 on Headroom right now and that site has a great 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like them you can always send them back :)

If I'm gaming or want to really pay attention to a movie or something then it's all the 770's since they're a sealed design and they block outside noise far better. I picked these up used for about $140. It was the only way I could find the 80 ohm version.

I loved the 280's. They sound great, especially for the price and paired with an amp, but they fit so tight I can't wear them for any decent length of time without getting a headache.

I may pick up the Audiotechnica 900's just for variety's sake. They're relatively cheap on Audiocubes. Plus I want a more comfortable easy to drive pair of cans to tote around with my laptop. Right now that's the duty the 280's are serving but like I said.. they're great they're just not very comfortable. I think the AT's will do a nice job replacing them. Or maybe I just need another set of 770's and an amp.

Of the pairs you have picked I'd go HD595's but I personally like my Beyerdynamic DT-770's the best of all the cans I own. Comfortable, well constructed, and they sound really good. They are bassy headphones but you can tweak that with an equalizer to balance them out.

They'll be relatively hard to find new for your $200 pricetag though. I think the normal price is $250ish, and it's hard to find the 80ohm version. The most common will be the newer 250ohm version which you'll really want an amp to get the full experience from. The last time I saw the 80 ohms in stock new somewhere I think it was B&H Photo.

My apologies, I don't know how I forgot to include my uses.

Well, basically, I use my headphones for anything PC. I listen to music, I play games, e.g Counter-Strike (so sound accuracy helps) and occassionally watch movies (headphones for when it is late and I can't use my 5.1).

My musical taste is mainly rock and it's various genre variations; to this end I like a nice bass but not so much that it drowns out the details. As I mentioned, if the weak spots can be fixed in particular with an amp, it is something I am willing to consider. But any suggestions outside the items I mentioned I am also open to, as long as the headphones themselves are around $200, give or take.

I almost feel bad doing it.. but have you browsed around on head-fi? There's lots of info on there.

Yea I have but to be honest I am a bit overwhelmed researching there. Alot of technical jargon that I am not particularly familiar with so it's a bit difficult for me to pick things apart. That is why I came here, to hear things perhaps more within my field of understanding and people in tune with gaming, for the most part.

Back