• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need opinion on cable sleeving

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
1,049
Ok. I'm about to buy myself an XP90 and a Panaflo fan for the system in my sig. I meant to buy these two or three weeks ago since that's when I started having heat problems but ran into a little problem with funds. Namely my problem is that the bios temp alarm has been going off when even doing the simplest things that I know are not really taxing the cpu.

I got to thinking however that I could do some other things to help out with heat and what not in my case. I desperately need to do wire management for one thing. I was wondering though if cable sleeving really does all that much for you or is it completely a cosmetic thing?

I mean I can see where it might help since cables would wound tighter together and more or less rounded but how much would it really help with air flow?

Another question just came to mind as well. My video card is an eVGA 6600GT with the stock heatsink and fan and although I like the cool picture on the cover of it, would it be better to get something like a Zalman hsf for my video card? Or is the stock one good for now since I haven't overclocked yet?

Thanks to anyone who replies.
 
As for the cable sleeving, just managing your wires will help the AMBIENT temps in your case, If your ambient temps are warmer, then your hardware will stay warmer, the key is to provide constant air movment thru the case. You dont really need to get "sleeving" although it does look better. If you have cables everywhere its hard to get a direct airflow in and out of your case, there could be pockets in your case with stagnant air that just sits there and heats up, you should have an intake fan and at least one exaust fan.

As for the vid card, if your not going to OC it why mess with it, there are a ton of aftermarket HS's for it, but if your not going to OC it, then I wouldn't worry about it, spend a day nip and tucking some wires to get better air flow and see how that works.

I would also try to lap the XP-90 if its ruff and use AS5.

BTW, what kind of CPU are you using?
 
Just a little note for you from experience, sleeving a PSU is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I'm STILL not done with mine. I do one strand every couple of days because I get aggravated when my little pin remover thing doesn't get the pins out right away. Then the heatshrink wont respond too well to the hair dryer, so you use a lighter. Then the lighter gets a little too close to the sleeving and singes it....... UGGH ! Never again.
 
Scroatdog said:
Just a little note for you from experience, sleeving a PSU is a PAIN IN THE ASS. I'm STILL not done with mine. I do one strand every couple of days because I get aggravated when my little pin remover thing doesn't get the pins out right away. Then the heatshrink wont respond too well to the hair dryer, so you use a lighter. Then the lighter gets a little too close to the sleeving and singes it....... UGGH ! Never again.

a real heat gun will speed up the process of that heat shrinking, you can pick them up from a hobbie story for about $15
 
Thanks for the info. I kind of figured that sleeving was a cosmetic thing but I figured I ask the highly regarded opinions of my fellow [H] members. As for what CPU I'm using it's in my sig. It's a P4 3.0ghz socket 478.

I don't really know why all of the sudden the bios temp alarm started going off. I've only had the system in my sig for a few months but the alarm has never gone off until a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember at the moment what temps I'm getting according to the little utility that came with my Abit mobo. I'm not sure I even really trust that utility anyway.

I wonder if maybe the alarm started going off because maybe some dust has built up inside. I'll have to check that out. I wish I had a place here wher I live and work that I could just go and pick up an XP-90 and Panaflo fan and some AS5 but there aren't any stores here that carry that stuff so I'm forced to order online. Hopefully I can find a place to order from that can give me a decent rate on really fast shipping because the alarm is really annoying when you're doing things like playing games and what not. Not to mention that since the pc is in our living room, when the alarm goes off it makes watching tv for the rest of the family not very enjoyable.
 
Srry have my sigs turned off, need to turn them back on again...

in any case, I would try to find out what your temps are when the system is beeping, it could because of the dust, so I would clean that case out, take everythign out if you have to, and put it back in... if you dont have any sensor software Everest home edition is free and it works for me. Do the best you can to stress it out to make sure its beeping durring that time, it could also be a mobo problem.
 
I think I'm going to have to do that for now. I can't find a store online where the XP-90 isn't out of stock, at least not one that has it for a decent price. I found one place but they wanted $40 when every other place (that is out of stock) is wanting an average of $30. $10 may not sound like a whole to some of you but it is to me at this moment in time.

I think for the moment, I'm going to get some canned air and blow the dust out and then do some wire management and maybe even buy another fan. I'll see if that helps out for now. Although I have the utility that came with the mobo, called AbitEQ, I don't really trust it so I think I'm going to download Everest and see what it says about my temps. Hopefully it's just a heat issue and not something like a mobo issue because I really need my pc right now for things other than just gaming. Although, if it turns out to be a mobo issue maybe my wife will let me get a better one! :D

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone.
 
nealio said:
a real heat gun will speed up the process of that heat shrinking, you can pick them up from a hobbie story for about $15


Missed that in the sleeving tutorials I read. If I had seen it, you'd better believe it would have found its way into my computer toolkit!

I've got one more molex/floppy strand to go, and then TWO SATA strands.

Thing is, I see no way of removing those SATA connectors. The one in the middle.... MAYBE, but the end connector appears to be on there for good, so it's looking like Split-Loom city for those two strands.

(sorry for the hijack!! ;) )
 
Paithar said:
I think I'm going to have to do that for now. I can't find a store online where the XP-90 isn't out of stock, at least not one that has it for a decent price. I found one place but they wanted $40 when every other place (that is out of stock) is wanting an average of $30. $10 may not sound like a whole to some of you but it is to me at this moment in time.

I think for the moment, I'm going to get some canned air and blow the dust out and then do some wire management and maybe even buy another fan. I'll see if that helps out for now. Although I have the utility that came with the mobo, called AbitEQ, I don't really trust it so I think I'm going to download Everest and see what it says about my temps. Hopefully it's just a heat issue and not something like a mobo issue because I really need my pc right now for things other than just gaming. Although, if it turns out to be a mobo issue maybe my wife will let me get a better one! :D

Anyway, thanks for the replies everyone.


wife ethics by neal 101

you see what I do is take out $20 or $40 here and there and save up CASH for what ever part that I need, that way when my wife asks me where I got it, I just say a buddy at work :p (because I gave him cash to put it on HIS CARD!!) unnnn traceable LOL

what she doesn't know wont hurt her... its when she finds out :eek:

all kidding a side, you really want to find out what your temps are before you go out and buy anything, if it ran fine before, and now its just doing this... Its probably your wire management and the dust keeping the HS from doing its job. Id say clean the case, and then if its a no go, then go out and buy the new HS.

you might also want to take off the HS off the CPU and clean it out thoroughly, make sure the fan is working right and get ALL of the dust out of that thing, reseat it with some AS5 and you should be golden.
 
Scroatdog said:
Missed that in the sleeving tutorials I read. If I had seen it, you'd better believe it would have found its way into my computer toolkit!

I've got one more molex/floppy strand to go, and then TWO SATA strands.

Thing is, I see no way of removing those SATA connectors. The one in the middle.... MAYBE, but the end connector appears to be on there for good, so it's looking like Split-Loom city for those two strands.

(sorry for the hijack!! ;) )

I saw somewhere on there there are clip on SATA power cables... Ill edit this post once I find it, do some checking up your self you might find it before I do
 
Back
Top