Need opinion about this loop

Ronin

Weaksauce
Hi people

I would apreciate your opinion about this loop...

...Pump --> CPU --> Rad#1 --> GPU --> Rad#2 --> Res --> (Pump again)

Pump - Laing D5 Vario (MCP655/Danger Den D5)
CPU Water Block - D-Tek Fuzion on a QX9650 (will try to OC it @ 4Ghz)
GPU Water Block - One for a 3870 X2... still don't know which one :rolleyes:
Rad#1- Black Ice Xtreme II (2x120mm)
Rad#2- Black Ice Xtreme II (2x120mm)

My main concerns:

Will 2 rads in the loop slow down the flow?

Is the pump powerfull enough for this loop?

...and will this be enough to cool it down? :D

I would apreciate your opinion on this and any other input is welcome... i'm new at this stuff so any help i can get is welcome...

Thank you in advance.

Just make the loop as tidy as possible in the case, the flow path doesn't really matter (well apart form putting the res before the pump ;) ).

Just make the loop as tidy as possible in the case, the flow path doesn't really matter (well apart form putting the res before the pump ;) ).

Thanx for the tip Durandal :)

Like i said i'm new at this and my concern is that 2 rads in the same loop slow down the flow and/or that this specific pump has not enough "power" for this loop... but from your words none of the scenarios is true...

Hey ! Where are the [H]ard|Forum Water Cooling gurus??? :D

I would like some more opinions on this loop/setup...

Please... :rolleyes:

Well, I've been away this last week, so I'm sorry I missed your thread the first time around ;).

Uhm. My first concern are your radiators. Why Xtremes? They require big, powerful fans to get good cooling... A regular BIP 240 (or MCR 220) is both cheaper, and a better performer, with yate loon fans.

Other than that, you should be good to go... The pump is a great choice.

Well, I've been away this last week, so I'm sorry I missed your thread the first time around ;).

Uhm. My first concern are your radiators. Why Xtremes? They require big, powerful fans to get good cooling... A regular BIP 240 (or MCR 220) is both cheaper, and a better performer, with yate loon fans.

Other than that, you should be good to go... The pump is a great choice.

Hi Arcygenical

Thank you for your input... but you got me a little confused :confused:

Why do you say the Xtremes "require big, powerful fans" ? The MCR 220 don't? Why? They are about the same size and use two 120mm fans (as the Xtremes)... what's the diference?...

Ps: The thread is brand new, i created it today... so you got here on time :D

ok here it is ...

pump(mcp655 ) rad (bix 120.3) cpu(fuzion ) gpu(whatever you use) .

never use two rads , that is worse then useing a res . don't use a res , use a fill port . bix or bip they say bix needs higher cfm fans then bip , um i couldn't tell . so whatever just don't use two rads . now if you need two rads then i would say get a better rad pa 120.3 . mcp655 pump is best bang for the buck 355 w/top is best pump but not much real difference . if you find that you need two rad's because of heavy gaming then use a 120.2 rad on cpu and 120.3 on gpu's and use a y-fitting to link the two (before each pump intake ) into one before the fillport . i would say get a pa 120.3 and you should be fine ...imho

ok here it is ...

never use two rads , that is worse then useing a res . don't use a res , use a fill port . bix or bip they say bix needs higher cfm fans then bip , um i couldn't tell . so whatever just don't use two rads . now if you need two rads then i would say get a better rad pa 120.3 . mcp655 pump is best bang for the buck 355 w/top is best pump but not much real difference . if you find that you need two rad's because of heavy gaming then use a 120.2 rad on cpu and 120.3 on gpu's and use a y-fitting to link the two (before each pump intake ) into one before the fillport . i would say get a pa 120.3 and you should be fine ...imho

Thanx for you input heydo6

So you think pump --> rad --> cpu it's better than rad --> pump --> cpu ?

Why do you say the Xtremes "require big, powerful fans" ? The MCR 220 don't? Why? They are about the same size and use two 120mm fans (as the Xtremes)... what's the diference?...

Fin spacing. The fins on the Xtreme are so close together that it requires a powerful fan to push air through the tight spaces. Swiftech MCR and Thermochill PA radiators both use larger spacing, making them ideal for low speed fans that can easily push or pull air through the unrestrictive space.

never use two rads , that is worse then useing a res . don't use a res , use a fill port .

There is nothing wrong with using two radiators, or a reservoir. The only reason not to use two radiators in the same loop, if you can actually use their cooling power, is if both together are too restrictive, which is rarely the case. There's nothing wrong with either reservoirs or t-lines, its about personal preference, and possibly space restraints.

ok here it is ...

Red: What? That makes no sense. There's nothing wrong with using 2 radiators... Nor is there a problem using a reservoir.

Orange: No. That is a bad idea. Splitting flow between 2 dissimilar componants will make more water flow through the least restrictive of the two. Therefore, more water will probably flow through the smaller radiator.

Blue: 2 BIX's with 70cfm fans or so, will easily outpace a PA radiator... Only problem is the noise.

Thanx for you input heydo6

So you think pump --> rad --> cpu it's better than rad --> pump --> cpu ?

The loop order doesn't matter at all... Just use what needs the least amount of tubing.

two rads is going to slow down your flow alot !!! unless you have a very powerfull pump , and then your going to add more heat from the powerfull pump to the loop .

your not spliting the flow , your just linking the two loops together right at the fillport so you only need one fillport .

2 rads will not be better then 1 pa120.3 in most cases . if you run just the right pump (more powerfull then mcp655 but low heat ) you might beable to come up with a better loop . chances are the loss of flow from two rads and the heat output of a bigger pump are going to hurt you more then help you .

mostly the order of your loop doesn't matter , but the rad is your most restrictive part in the loop so you want that first in order from pump . so you should aways run pump then rad and after that it really doesn't matter . keep in mind there maybe no real world difference , but the loss of flow from blocks and then you hit your rad will slow flow even more and may really hurt you .

two rads is going to slow down your flow alot !!! unless you have a very powerfull pump , and then your going to add more heat from the powerfull pump to the loop .

your not spliting the flow , your just linking the two loops together right at the fillport so you only need one fillport .

2 rads will not be better then 1 pa120.3 in most cases . if you run just the right pump (more powerfull then mcp655 but low heat ) you might beable to come up with a better loop . chances are the loss of flow from two rads and the heat output of a bigger pump are going to hurt you more then help you .

mostly the order of your loop doesn't matter , but the rad is your most restrictive part in the loop so you want that first in order from pump . so you should aways run pump then rad and after that it really doesn't matter . keep in mind there maybe no real world difference , but the loss of flow from blocks and then you hit your rad will slow flow even more and may really hurt you .

I have to disagree with the first paragraph from personal experience. I have an Alphacool 1510 pump that came with the voltage converter. I ran it through CPU/2 GPU/NB and 3 radiators. It has the ability to pump 1500 l/h with a 6m head height.

When I ran it at its highest setting I had no improvement in temps over setting it at its lowest setting. The radiators were Thermochill HE series with 70 cfm fans. I switched to PA series and Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E and the pump results were the same.

I think the 1510 performs more like this pump http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=201&products_id=21607 at its lowest setting. You can see its not a world beater buy the specs but it was good enough for that setup. Fuzion cpu, 2 EK-FC8800GTS and 1 EK-680I-AC.

Hi there,

Thank you all for your input... i'm still studying all the possibilities :confused::)

I have a new question for you guys... in Europe where can i find Thermochill PA radiators ? :rolleyes:

Thanx

Back