Need one of these sound cards

crislink

n00b
Hello,

I've got a nice amp with a 2.1 speaker set. Currently running with analog jack on intenal audio alc887. Never complained but I know it could be better.

I don't care for surround, special effects or competitive gaming features and presets.
I'm only for general audio and music quality. Sometimes I use good headphones. Don't want to spend more than 50-70$.

- Asus Xonar D1 (pretty old but on paper it's pretty nice, basically it could compare to SBZ and Soar)
- Asus Strix Soar (seems good but much game oriented)
- Asus Xonar DG - DGX (entry level asus)
- Creative SB Audigy RX (the creative model just after the entry level one)
- Creative Sound Blaster Z (so far the best bang for bucks in creative series, but it's also gaming oriented)

I've read alot of reviews but I cannot get how the audio compares between them, especially between asus and creative.
Has someone tried both?

I can't recommend the Xonar DG/DGX. Too many looping sound bugs in games.

The Z is fine. Especially for headphones. Asus is pretty much asking for trouble. My Zx has given me none.

I have both a Sound Blaster Z and a Xonar of some variety...

I'll echo the previous comment - the Xonar has issues. The SB Z has been great though, and I use it on my HTPC for its live DTS encoding capability.

Additionally, I have another system with a SB Omni 5.1, which also works nicely.

Buy all of them. Then get many amps and speakers to connect them all... It will be awesome!

Back