Need one good reliable HD to back up EVERYTHING

Dan UCF

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 80 gig WD SE drive and 120 gig Maxtor 8meg cache drive and I want to sell both of them and part out my system, but before I can do that I need to backup all my data. I have about 30 gigs free on each drive right now, plus I don't need to backup stuff like the OS files, page files (obviously) program installs, game installs and the like, so I have under 160 gigs of data for sure.
Now to get to the question, what drive should I get? I know for sure I want SATA, it'd be nice if it was quiet, but thats not of utmost importance. I want stability because I'm backing EVERYTHING up to this one drive. The WD SATA 160 gig is around $130 at newegg, then one up from that is the 200 gig for around $160, and then the 250 gig for $215. I'm kinda leaning towards the extra 40 gigs for $30 over the 160 gig drive, but I really have no idea how reliable larger HDs are over the smaller drive. And I'm not sure if I'd want to buy something else besides WD.
What are your suggestions? or where can I look to read up on the latest and greatest SATA drives.

Are there any large SATA drives with FDB besides the Hitachi? after having a 75GXP, and two 60GXP drives go bad on me I would rather not buy an IBM part again, even if Hitachi runs and owns 70% of their HD business.

Seagate has FDB SATA's. I just got my Seagate 7200.7 and love it. Quiet and fast, and with Seagates top notch reliability.

Back