• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need OC help

Dach

n00b
Joined
Mar 29, 2008
Messages
23
Hey

I bought the cpu (opt 165) and mobo (eVGA NF41)from brons2. This thread has all the info about his system.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326438

I tried to OC the cpu, but as windows was loading I got a blue screen and now the comp won't even boot up. I get the code FF on the mobo.

The changes I made to the default were 800Mhz (default=Auto) on the HTT setting and 250 Mhz FSB (Default= 200).

I tried to clear the CMOS with the jumper on the mobo and even removed the mobo battery and put it back. I even tried booting it without any ram to see if it gives me a different error, but it doesn't - it still gives the FF code on the mobo.

Can anyone give me any tips on what I can do and what might be wrong?

Thanks.
 
I might just buy new computer parts this thanksgiving if I can't recover from this :(. I would just like to try to fix this if it's possible.

p.s. The code FF means it's trying to boot.
 
The FF code does mean it's trying to boot.

Usually if I had OC'ed it too far, moving the CMOS jumper, turning power on for a few seconds and then back off, and putting the jumper back set it right back to stock settings. I don't know if removing the battery will actually reset the settings if the OC you have is not supported.

200 to 250 is a big jump. I would go 4-6 mhz at a time. I didn't immediately move it to 250, I slowly built up to that.

You need good RAM to OC on that board, I never got a great overclock till I ponied up for some Mushkin DDR500. On Kingston ValueRam PC3200/DDR400, the most I got was 2250 stable.2400 was achievable but it wasn't that stable. With the Mushkin it did 2600 24x7 stable as a rock. But that Mushkin cost almost $100 with shipping so in your case it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I would clear the CMOS, and then remove all connections except for video, RAM and CPU, and see if you get anything on the screen.
 
Hey Brons, thanks for responding.

I can't seem to get anything on screen. My guess is I may have damaged the mobo or corrupted the bios or something. I'll try doing what you suggested. Thanks
 
Are you SURE you're moving the right jumper to clear CMOS? If I recall correctly it's a bit confusing as to which one it is. And you have to move the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, power the system on for a few seconds, then turn it back off, and then move the jumper to 1-2 again.

It just seems weird, because I had pretty much the same symptoms when I tried to OC too far but I was always able to get it back by clearing CMOS. Do you have a different video card or RAM to test with?
 
Back
Top