Need new Power supply ASAP

NCX

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
6,224
Antec tpq-1200w died and I need something ASAP as i use my PC for school.

Specs:
Mobo: gigabyte x58-ud9
GPU: SLI GTX 480
Ram: 12gb Patriot G
HDD: 1TB Western Digital

I was told I don't really need a 1200w power supply and can't remember why I went with one in the first place.

Can't decide between the Corsair hx1050, Seasonic 1000ATX or Thermaltake ATX-1000M or to get a 1200w power supply.

Any advie appreciated
 
Where are you buying from and what is your budget?

You only need a ~850W PSU.
 
I use pricebat/shopbot.ca to find the lowest price and get NCIX or memoryexpress to price match typically.

I would like to stay under 250$ and I want something that will last
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034
^^best part is the 7 year warranty.

Want to add or replace more components for the future and need more juice then go for this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171055

Hope this helps.
Electrical performance wise both are pretty average, and neither worth its price.

@ OP, had a look at NCIX and here are the top 3 picks(quality, performance and value wise):
Antec HCP 850 @ 150$, well priced, excellent electronics, can output ~1100W continuously, not that quiet at high loads though.
XFX Black Edition 1050W @ 200$, Seasonic X-1050 internally but priced better, excellent unit in all regards.
Antec HCP 1200 @ 220$, the best consumer PSU to date, way overkill for your rig though, but is well priced.

ps. if your TPQ is still in warranty you should contact Antec and initiate an RMA.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am kind of leary of getting another Antec thoug the HCP does get excellent reviews. Mine is still under warranty but I need something in the next day or 2.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am kind of leary of getting another Antec thoug the HCP does get excellent reviews. Mine is still under warranty but I need something in the next day or 2.

Just call/mail Antec and see if they can do anything for you on such short notice.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am kind of leary of getting another Antec thoug the HCP does get excellent reviews. Mine is still under warranty but I need something in the next day or 2.

Just curious, how did you determine your PSU is blown?
 
I took my PC into a repair place and they tested it. It was not blown but it was no longer providing enough juice to run according to the PC Repair guys.

I filled an RMA ticket with Antec and my model only qaulifies for standard replacement. It seems i will have to ship it to them and let them test it for at least 72 hours before getting a replacement. I have papers to write which require a lot of research, my 1024x600 notebook will not suffice:(
 
Last edited:
I took my PC into a repair place and they tested it. It was not blown but it was no longer providing enough juice to run according to the PC Repair guys.

I filled an RMA ticket with Antec and my model only qaulifies for standard replacement. It seems i will have to ship it to them and let them test it for at least 72 hours before getting a replacement. I have papers to write which require a lot of research, my 1024x600 notebook will not suffice:(

What were the symptoms?
 
What were the symptoms?

Initially i thought my 480 died but this thread has the rest of the info

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675719

@Profumo.

The HCP seems like the best value, the XFX are a good value as well but I read about them coming with broken stuff in the Johnny Guru review (Platimum 1000w) and some other issues in Hardwareheavens review of the 1050w XFX

ordering the HCP, can I have your address so I know where to send my nuke when it blows up my pc? Don't say 1234 Fake Street because that is where I live an it is the only house on the block:D
 
A slightly more exciting proposal. Less wattage PSU, sell your 480s and get a newer shinier gpu. 7950? mmmm
 
I'm sticking with nvidia since I have a 3D Vision display.
 
Initially i thought my 480 died but this thread has the rest of the info

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675719

@Profumo.

The HCP seems like the best value, the XFX are a good value as well but I read about them coming with broken stuff in the Johnny Guru review (Platimum 1000w) and some other issues in Hardwareheavens review of the 1050w XFX

ordering the HCP, can I have your address so I know where to send my nuke when it blows up my pc? Don't say 1234 Fake Street because that is where I live an it is the only house on the block:D
=))
Nothing to worry about with the XFX 1050 either, the rail issues Jonny had with the XFX-1250 were due to false advertising from Seasonic(Seasonic makes the XFX unit too and it was advertised the same), in fact the quad rail configuration is pretty smart and safer than the falsely advertised single rail. If anything, buy the HCP 850 cause is cheaper or the HCP 1200 cause it's better, but not because you have doubts about the quality or reliability of the XFX-1050, there's nothing to worry about about in this regard ;)

As for the address, you'll need to send me naked pics first! :p

ps. hardwareheaven is not the place to look for proper PSU reviews ;)
 
Back
Top