• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need new OS Disk

  • Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 184142

Guest
Ok, I have a WD640 that seems to be at the end of it's life, it is starting to make allot of noise and everything seems to be taking longer with allot of hangs/freezes, its about 3-4 years old now and has been under heavy use and running 24/7.

Looking to get something faster, first to mind are SSD's but the space is just not there or price per GB. Some of the cheaper models I am also a bit worried about life span, so if I did get one it would probably be Intel etc which makes the cost per GB even worse for them. So I was thinking something like a new 450 or 600GB VR? The 7K3000 was tempting at first, but one, my OS even with all programs only uses 250-300GB and the 7K3000 still has around double the seek/access times as the VR's do, which matters the most for me, as I don't do much that requires large continuous throughput of sequential read/writes.

Are the VR's my best choice? Or is there a drive I am missing? Suggestions please.
 
Well, guess I was right, came home from work, and the desktop was dead, tested it out and system will not even see the drive now. Ran to frys and got a 600GB VR, sadly I missed out on the sale (Newegg), but oh well, I can't justify a 400GB+ (don't want to have to split everything up on multiple drives) SSD right now with problems they have etc, by the time I am tried of the VR I am sure SSD's will be worth getting. Probably should have gone for just a 1TB+ WD drive and never known the difference, but what fun is that?
 
There is a noticeable difference between a 10k OS drive and a 7.2K OS drive for sure, it's mostly just a matter of it being worth the price premium. Before SSDs came along, it certainly was in my opinion (I have a 15k SCSI Cheetah for my OS drive, makes your VR seem like a very quiet bargain).
 
There is a noticeable difference with a VRaptor as your OS drive vs a WD Black, or F3, and such. The access time on the VRaptor is about 2x as fast as other consumer-grade and nearly 2x that of the Black. It's well worth having it for your OS drive and you made the correct choice!

Obviously the enterprise Cheetahs, and such would be nice to own too :D if yu had the hardware to go along with them.
 
Oh, I knew it would be 2x as fast in those areas, that's the reason I got it, I mean that if I had gotten a WD black drive I would have never noticed, I like it now though, seems to be running nice and smooth, still some tests to run, but so far a nice speed improvement.
 
Back
Top