Need new motherboard

elm669

2[H]4U
About two years ago I bought a i5-3570k 3.4ghz and it came with a Msi B75ma-p45 as a combo deal which apparently has NO overclocking ability at all.
I have tried everything I can think of and the only way to increase clock speed a bit is turbo boost.. and that only yields an extra 200mhz for 3.6ghz

Anyways.. my question is, what is the cheapest motherboard that will support overclocking for my i5-3570k? Looking for something in the $99-$129 range max.
I've heard to stay away from B and H chipsets is that correct?

At this point, you're kinda stuck due to it being a Socket 1155 chip.
What you're looking for are Z77 chipsets.

ASROCK still has a couple on the market:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...100007627 600093976&IsNodeId=1&srchInDesc=Z77

The big issue is going to be FINDING boards. Gigabyte had a very good overclocker board in the Z77X-D3H. But trying to find it online now? $280 a pop. Though you can find some cheap barebones setups that are sporting this board for about a hundred bucks more.

I'll put in a recommend for my Asrock Z77 Xtreme 4. Great board, overclocks well enough, no weird problems.

At this point though (if it were me), i would sell the 3570k and go with a newer LGA1150 combo. You're basically paying inflated $$$ for what amounts to a 3 year old platform. The Z77 was certainly a great chipset and still very relevant compared to alot of the stuff out there, but i woudn't be building a system on it unless you are able to get a board for on the cheap.

Probably going with the asrock board. Seems to have everything I need and just barely in my price range, Also I can pick it up locally!

I'll put in a recommend for my Asrock Z77 Xtreme 4. Great board, overclocks well enough, no weird problems.

At this point though (if it were me), i would sell the 3570k and go with a newer LGA1150 combo. You're basically paying inflated $$$ for what amounts to a 3 year old platform. The Z77 was certainly a great chipset and still very relevant compared to alot of the stuff out there, but i woudn't be building a system on it unless you are able to get a board for on the cheap.

I would but I just dont have the money to upgrade at the moment. $120 is going to be pushing it in my current living situation, I just need to keep my system alive due to my current mobo giving out... sata and usb ports are dying. Need it to last at least another 2-3 years then plan on upgrading the whole thing.

The MVG is the most amazing 1155 board I've ever used. If you can score one. Its MicroATX, which gives it HTPC capability and has an msata/mpcie combo card (can have ssd and wifi card) looks awesome and a slew of other features.. Oh, it also clocks like a damn banshee. I run my 3770k at 4.8Ghz on offset no issues.

Ended up getting the asrock z77 extreme 4 from micro center for 129.99.
the boost in speed alone is amazing from ocing, went from 3.4ghz to 4.4ghz with only a minor offset in vcore and is amazingly rock stable in mem test and prime 95 whereas it would fail both with the old mobo

Last edited:
Back