Need new modem?

jslater25

Limp Gawd
I'm struggling with some internet connectivity issues.
Currently, I use ATT DSL (no landline, just DSL). I have a Netopia 3347 modem, which has been working tirelessly for 1.75 to 2 years. Recently, I noticed that when connecting to the internet using wireless, it was as if pages had a hard time resolving. Other times, I would notice that the page would load quickly, but video might need to buffer every 20 seconds.

It didn't always work this way. Just recently. And calling ATT is pointless. They want me to simply buy a new modem. Are there any tests I can do to test the modem itself?

what about running a speedtest on the line speedtest.com, might be a viurs/malware/toolbar issue could be worth scanning your pc and reseting your browser to defaults

If it were limited to just one computer, I'd completely agree. But the issue is that EVERY device (iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Windows PC) all experience the same issue.

Speedtest.com behaves as I'd expect: once the browser resolves to the site, I can run the test. But sometimes the site takes ~30 seconds to resolve.

Can you connect a computer directly to the modem via an ethernet cable to rule out possible wireless radio problems/interference?

Since you say you are having problems with sites taking a long time to resolve, another thing you could try is using a different DNS server (like OpenDNS) to see if it makes a difference.

Since it is happening on all connected devices, I would also start suspecting hardware (modem) or connection issues between the ISP and the modem. One of those is a lot easier to rule out than the other.

As someone who has had quite a few replacement modems over the years, it can really make a difference sometimes, especially if you factor in how much $ the frustration is worth.

Last edited:
Its not the wireless as I connected both the Windows PC and MacBook to the modem directly.

Is there a way to test the modem aside from just taking AT&T's word for it? I have a history of proving them wrong, so I don't want to go buy another modem if I can keep from it.

Not sure of any way of testing a modem without putting a replacement modem on. What are your ping results like?

Google voip jitter test .... run some of those and see how your jitter etc.... looks

do you know anyone with dsl service? you could try their modem and have them try yours to see if you can duplicate the issues.

Back