Need new mobo to replace P5W DH

afx

n00b
After having a lot of problems with my system recently, I came to the conclusion that my motherboard is defective. I've been having a lot of random BSOD on a new install of Vista all related to memory management or IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, so after changing both sticks of memory, I gave up.

So I'm currently looking for a new motherboard to replace my current one. I don't really know much about the new chipsets (X38, X48), so I'm asking here before. I want something that is a very good overclocker, and that is futureproof. I don't really care about the cost, as long as it will be stable and reliable. I don't care about SLI though, so no need for 2x PCI-E 16x.

Here's my system, so keep in mind that it must be compatible with that.
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
C2D E6400 B2
Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 2x1GB
eVGA 8800GT 512MB
Audigy 2
Corsair HX520 PSU

nothing is future proof - Intel are moving to a new socket in under a year.

However, you don't appear to need Crossfire/SLI & you are using DDR2 so may I suggest a P35 chipset mobo of some kind?
Something like an abit IP35 Pro ($150 after rebate @ Newegg) perhaps or if you don't need all it's features something cheaper.

im loving off the DFI boards lately, the DK P35 T2RS is great for a P35 board ( about 140 bux), i just upgraded to the X48 version of the same board to get the best out of socket 775, it was only 30 bux more than its X38 brother and had better cooling so i thought meh why not. it will save me having to flash it down the road.

So what are the main advantages of X38 and X48 compared to P35?

hi afx,

just jumping in here ... that error message 'IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal'

I was getting that with my XP install ... seemed to mostly happen when surfing the web.

It turned out to be a driver needed to be updated.

Thanks, I think I'll get a P35, so which board is the ultimate best overclocker and still stable and reliable?

Um considering I was in the same boat as you with that terrible freaking mobo (P5W DH Deluxe) I would get the Abit IP35 Pro. It's stable as a rock and overclocks really really well. The only thing keeping me from 3.8 is cooling.

Mind you with the P5W DH Deluxe I simply couldnt overclock at all. That board was garbage imho and over at XtremeSys there was a thread going on forever with 90% problems 5% ok o/c's and 5% really good ones that have been modified heavily.

Get the Abit IP35 Pro, I promise you you'll enjoy it till the new mobo's come out for Nehalem in the Q4. It's cheap too! :D

I have that board too and I hate it. And I was so careful to wait for reviews declaring it the king of the planet....it was, for like a month. I may swap it out for a DFI over the summer.

After having a lot of problems with my system recently, I came to the conclusion that my motherboard is defective. I've been having a lot of random BSOD on a new install of Vista all related to memory management or IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal, so after changing both sticks of memory, I gave up.
Did you test the RAM with a memory testing program such as memtest86 or microsoft memory test (something outside of windows)?

next, are your motherboard,chipset and all peripherial drivers up to date? (from the maker's website of the chips, this is not necessarly the vendor who made the boards)

Did you test the RAM with a memory testing program such as memtest86 or microsoft memory test (something outside of windows)?

next, are your motherboard,chipset and all peripherial drivers up to date? (from the maker's website of the chips, this is not necessarly the vendor who made the boards)

Oh my bad I didnt see he had that problem. With the P5W DH Deluxe (or all of them) you have to flash to the latest bios to be abe to get Vista to work right

Oh my bad I didnt see he had that problem. With the P5W DH Deluxe (or all of them) you have to flash to the latest bios to be abe to get Vista to work right
That is true, I neglected to mention that but yes, firmware updates are always a good place to start when having problems.
Sometimes I over/under estimate the tech savviness of [H]ard|forum users.

Because some hardware can be packaged and shelved for 3-6 months, or more, before it is purchased, the BIOS and drivers on the CD can be wildly out of date for the hardware by the time you are installing it.

I have the latest BIOS, latest drivers for everything, I had the same problem with my last 2 sticks of ram (OCZ) that I tought were defective and the new ones are acting the same.

BIOS 2004 is the best (if your not using a 45nm CPU and then if you are that's probably your problem.) I really like mine, all though is been demoted to HTPC now. It does set some unadjustable memory timings rather tight. Setting memory to SPD helps.

I'm using a MSI P35 Platinum and a Q6600 now (still unfinished waiting for RV770.) It's nice but falls short of the P5W DH in some ways.

Personally myself I have been thinking about the p5k deluxe.

I had previous success with the p5b deluxe, so I wouldnt mind sticking with soemthing that was similar...

I am currently in the process of building another rig... I dont want to spend a whole lot of money on a board...but Ill buy whatever I think is a decent deal...

Either p5k deluxe or the abit ip35 pro..

Back