Need new mobo recommendation

vtisix

n00b
After determining that my DS3 mobo is sleeping with the fishes, I need a new mobo. I'll be overclocking, but not very much. My current setup has a E4300 running stable at 3.15Ghz for the past few months. I'll be doing the same with the new board, possibly upgrading to another C2D later. What do you recommend that's between $100-$150? Thanks.

One of the P35 boards for sure. I'd say IP35 or DS3 if your previous experience didn't put a bad taste in your mouth.

One of the P35 boards for sure. I'd say IP35 or DS3 if your previous experience didn't put a bad taste in your mouth.

What's a decent P35 board that I should look at? I'd go back to a DS3 rev.3.3, but I'd rather get something that I can upgrade on in the near future.

DDR3 at this point has really no performance advantages over DDR2. I'd go with the Gigabyte DDR2 only board that pahzman pointed out to you. It's rock solid. By the time DDR3 is in the mainstream, Intel will supposedly be using CSI for their processors, retiring the traditional FSB, so this board would be obsolete anyways, and by then DDR3 will have the chance to be affordable and show its teeth like DDR2 has now.

DDR3 at this point has really no performance advantages over DDR2. I'd go with the Gigabyte DDR2 only board that pahzman pointed out to you. It's rock solid. By the time DDR3 is in the mainstream, Intel will supposedly be using CSI for their processors, retiring the traditional FSB, so this board would be obsolete anyways, and by then DDR3 will have the chance to be affordable and show its teeth like DDR2 has now.

Sounds like CSI is still 2-3 years away from mainstream use as it will only be in Itanium processors in 2008 (if that). Even with CSI, it won't eliminate the need for fast memory. At least that's how I see it. I, personally, wouldn't make a buy today based on what Intel will have out in 2 years.

The DDR3 path is interesting, but it really depends on how often you upgrade and how much you upgrade when you do. If you plan on keeping the board for a while and swapping in new processors, the DDR2/3 board might not be that bad. But if you normally do a full system upgrade every year or so, a simple DDR2 board would be enough.

Back