• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need New Hardrive,hows this for a plan?

Lt.Doomsday

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
454
not surpised at all.i got a Western Digtial 40 and 80gig HD{standard IDE hookup}

with all the games and Mp3+Pics i got,they are pretty packed to the hilt.

i have a plan to backup my stuff,get a 160gig Western Digital and then have this setup:

-take the 40 out and put it in another machine i have.
-use the 80 as the Master Windows XP Drive,then 100 for the Game Drive and then the 60 for the Pics,Video's and Music.

this sound like a good idea?
 
The sweet spot is in 250gb drives, and price difference is nil. I'd go that direction. You'll need the space eventually.
 
StorageJoe said:
The sweet spot is in 250gb drives, and price difference is nil. I'd go that direction. You'll need the space eventually.

For just a few more cents per megabyte you can get a 320gig drive though, and have a lot more space to work with. Plus, with all of the rebates we've seen coming out on 300+ gig drives, I think they are soon to become the new sweet spot standard.
 
What is your usage for the drive? How much will you be using it? Will it be an occasional use? Heavy duty? Are you going to be beating on it ie putting it under heavy loads?
 
basically gaming and photoshopping,with a little of DC++ use.

i don't think i can use a 250gig drive.i have an MSI Delta2-LSR board.
 
The WD SE drives are ok in light duty applications. If you're not beating the hell out of it, which it doesn't sound like you are, you should be ok. If you are doing a lot of photoshopping with large files, though, or are consistently loading huge maps in games the WD won't be up to the challenge. It will probably die on you pretty quick, often within a year. Not to mention they choke under heavy load. In that case I would switch over to the DM10 or Maxline III drives.
 
i've had 3 Segates and 1 Maxtor HD's.

.had to replace 3 segate drives in our old packbard bell machine,then while building this rig i decided to buy an 80gig Maxtor Drive on sale in staples......Dead out of the Box and i had a hard time with staples with getting back my money.i even tried to hook it up as a slave and no dice it didn't work at all.

the WD 40 i've had used since prob. 99' or early 2000.i think the 80gig is about a year or two old.
 
Lt.Doomsday said:
i've had 3 Segates and 1 Maxtor HD's.

.had to replace 3 segate drives in our old packbard bell machine,then while building this rig i decided to buy an 80gig Maxtor Drive on sale in staples......Dead out of the Box and i had a hard time with staples with getting back my money.i even tried to hook it up as a slave and no dice it didn't work at all.

the WD 40 i've had used since prob. 99' or early 2000.i think the 80gig is about a year or two old.
Yeah, you're doing ok because you're not beating on it. That's why I say this new one should be ok for you too. It's just if you decide that you need to give it a good beating that you should take a look at the alternatives.

BTW, please bear in mind that Maxtor has three REALLY shitty lines of HDDs. I am wondering if you bought one of those.
 
Wow, some of you have had really shitty luck with HDs. I tend to do heavy disk usage on all of the ones I have had, and (knock on wood) I have yet to ever have a HD die on me. I still have a 2 gig maxtor running after 8 years nearly continuous 24/7 use. Hell, I even tried booting that machine after it had been left in the car overnight in sub-zero temps, thought I had crashed it until I realized the HD was just too frozen to move, once it warmed up it worked fine, and that was about five years ago, yet to get a hiccup from it.
 
Lt.Doomsday said:
i bought the Ultra Series 80gig that Staples sells.
Strange. That drive shouldn't have crapped out on you. Of course, to be fair DOA is not unheard of and it happens with HDDs the same as any other component. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and call it a fluke. That line of drives is not known to be unreliable that I know of.

STAPLES was your big mistake. NEVER buy anything from them. They suck the big one. lol
 
i know,they are really the only computer store around.i would have to travel about an hour away to get to a best buy or circuit city.i have a local shop,but they have Bagged HD's and i'm very strongly against buying those.

i have a walmart near me.i want to see sunday if the sunday paper has any deals on WD's then go to walmart to see if they price-match.
 
Yeah, Wal-mart price matches. They are awesome for that. As much as I hate Wal-mart they are very competitive.
 
Hi! im new so can someone help me....i need A good hard drive for gaming ...with lots of space 120 GB or more,reliable and fast.
IS it possible for me 2 put 2 hard drives..one that is 120 or more and one that is 74 GB?
and is it possible for me to 2 put 2 diff BRAND hard drives in one pc? same goes with ram can i put 2 kind of different branded ram in one pc? thanks

im planning 2 get a WD 250GB and a Hitachi Desktar 160GB..or should i get both WD 250 GB & 74 GB ,instead of Hitachi.

or should i get both Hitachi and no WD...or it doesnt matter both works good.!

thanks again...
 
Two different brands and sizes of HD doesn't matter unless you are trying to set up a RAID array (even then, you could use two different sizes or brands if you wanted, but you'd end up losing space on the larger drive if you did Raid 0 or 1 (the most popular choices)).

I have a WD 100gig and a Maxtor 250gig in this box now, and have not had any issues.

As for ram, technically it is best to use two identical sticks, or at least two sticks from the same line and same manufacturer. I have used boxes with different sized DIMMs and differen't brands of DIMMs, but it raises your chances of memory errors.
 
It really only raises your chance of memory errors if one or more of the sticks of RAM are generic. I have a box here with mismatched RAM and it runs very well. Very stable. I recommend that everyone stay away from generic RAM.
 
SirKenin said:
It really only raises your chance of memory errors if one or more of the sticks of RAM are generic. I have a box here with mismatched RAM and it runs very well. Very stable. I recommend that everyone stay away from generic RAM.

Generic RAM is fine as long as you match it and don't try to overclock it. I buy all of my ram at computer shows (hey, saving $20 per stick is worth it) and I don't have memory issues. Generic RAM is fine, just just pair it with crazy overpriced overclocker RAM.
 
NulloModo said:
Generic RAM is fine as long as you match it and don't try to overclock it. I buy all of my ram at computer shows (hey, saving $20 per stick is worth it) and I don't have memory issues. Generic RAM is fine, just just pair it with crazy overpriced overclocker RAM.
I used to sell generic RAM for years. Believe me, it is anything but fine. The RMA rate on them was absolutely crazy. Not to mention compatibility issues with mainboards. I had more than a few computers on my bench that gave me problems with generic RAM configurations.

I had so many problems with it, in fact, that I now refuse to sell it. As stated on my website "For best performance and reliability we recommend and sell name brand memory only." Like I said, there's very good reason for that.
 
Back
Top