Need new Cable Modem

strikerP4

Limp Gawd
Ok so my Cable modem is dying after years of fathful service. I have a motorola SB5100. I've seen a refurb linksys model for like $29. I'm not sure if I want to worry about getting a DOCSIS 3.0 one right now since there is no telling when COX COMM in phoenix will be offering any kind of wideband service.

Thoughts?

The Motorola SB5101 and the Linksys CM100 are commonly found nowadays in B&M stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy. IIRC, many refurbished models carry a warranty just like their newly built counterparts, but they're comparatively shorter, so YMMV.

I haven't heard of any ISP requiring DOCSIS 3.0 support from any modem, so it may not be a requirement that you have to worry about. Having said that, the Motorola SB6120 does support it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
... and if you want to save some cash and a used modem, tiraides has the SB5120 for sale in his FS thread. :p

Mine 5120 seemed to be acting up and since no modems have lasted me more than 3 years, I went ahead and got the SB6120 from buy.com for $80 and free shipping last week. It increased my speed to 20Mb/s up from 12. I was surprised and the New Orleans area isn't even Docsis 3 ready.

yeah I know DOCSIS3.0 is only supported in a few markets where you can get 50Mbps down through comcast and one other provider. I just couldn't decide if I should go ahead and get one DOSIS3.0 ready or go the cheap route now and upgrade later when it's in my area. Since some people have reported speed boosts above what there service is rated with these I might just pull the trigger now. well maybe just after christmas.

Get the 6120. Since my comcast modem was dropping signal intermittently, I returned it and decided to just buy one. Got it off of Ebay new for about $80 bucks and it works like a charm. Being Docsis 3.0, it also supports up to the maximum that Comcast offers in my area and should I ever decide to spend that much I can keep the same hardware (50Mb/s for $99 a month) :-P

Back