• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need network help

ChodaBoy

n00b
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
12
Yesterday, I bought a new graphics card and followed the direction from the guides on how to remove the drivers properly and how to install them. Afterwards, I noticed that my computer that has the new video card wouldn't connect to the internet. I checked my network and it was no longer on it. After a few hours last night and a few hours today, messing around, reinstalling my card, reading some guides, and even reformating my computer, I still can't get back on the internet. I noticed two things which make me think that something is wrong. The first is, when I try to install my mobo chipsets and drivers, I noticed that it will no longer install the usb drivers, or the ethernet drivers. And when I try to install them manually by exploring the cd, the usb drivers install, but it says no hardware/software found for the ethernet. I have tried both cards a few times, just to make sure it wasn't my new card, but still, nothing helps. Secondly, while reading up on network problems, I read that the netword speeds need to match. The computer that is working on the network has a speed of 100 mbs while the other computer has a speed of 400 mbs. Now I really don't know a lot about networking, so this may or may not be true. My computer says that the network adapter is in and working properly. I also noticed that this computer does not have the QoS Packet Schedular, which may be a cause, but once again, I really do not know too much about networking. Anyone have any ideas?
 
It would help facilitate troubleshooting the issue if we knew what kind of motherboard you had, what kind of graphics card you were trying to install, and what OS you're running. Also the type of network and the physical layout would be helpful as well as the type of router and model.

If your current computer is running, and your OS is detecting a network device is present and operational, on the assumption that you are using Windows 2000 or XP...

Start ---> Run ---> CMD (press enter)

ipconfig /all

and post your results here. The main thing to look for is that your Local Area Connection is pulling an IP address correctly as well is being assigned a default gateway.
 
Sorry about not giving the specs, I'm a little annoyed with it but here are my specs:

AMD 64 4000+ San Diego Chip
Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480w
Corsair XMS 2x1GB Twin X DDR 400
DFI UT Nforce3 Ultra-D motherboard
300 GB WD Hard Drive

My old video card was a Nvidia 6800 OC from BFG
My new card is ATI X850 XT ( both cards are AGP)

I am running Windows Home edition with service pack 2

The working computer's ipconfig /all is :

"
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID MILLER>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVES
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
on #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-A5-DC-B1
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 151.196.0.39
151.196.0.38
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, July 16, 2005 7:31:07 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, July 17, 2005 7:31:07 PM "

My computer that is having the problems ipconfig /all is this:

"
Windows IP Configuration "

That is all that displays for that computer.

Any ideas?
 
Went out to my local bestbuy today, and picked up a PCI Ethernet card. Put it in, and installed the drivers, and now it's up and running like normal. Just wished I would have tried that first before reformating my entire computer. Thanks to those people who responded to my question, now its time to get back to putting my things back on this computer :(
 
Just for future reference, reformatting often isn't required in cases with driver problem. Reformatting works best if you're infested with spyware or viruses or your Windows install is broken, but otherwise it's not worth it in my opinion.

That doesn't really help you now I know, but in the future spend more time troubleshooting and you'll save time by not reformatting.
 
Back
Top