Need Motherboard Suggestions - USB 3.0 + 2x PCI-E x16

Tytalus

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a friend who is looking to build a new rig for a LAN party in a few weeks and he asked me about his motherboard choice. Unfortunately I haven't looked at new motherboards for over a year so I can't provide the kind of advice he'd need, but I'm sure someone here has a few thoughts regarding his selection(s).

From him:
- Must be LGA 1366
- Supports USB 3.0
- 2xPCI-E x16 (not 1x16 and 1x8)

His thoughts on the overall build:
- Intel i7 960 (I think he should go with an i7 930, which will save him some cash)
- ATI Radeon 5970
- {Motherboard from suggestions}

He is currently looking at the ASUS Rampage 3 motherboard. I have no idea about thsi board--any thoughts? Or suggestions for what he should look at rather than the Rampage?

2.png

I have the Rampage 3 and it's a great board and it meets his criteria, I definitely recommend it.

EVGA is coming out with a new competitor that has USB3.0, but I think it may be a while until it comes out.

I have the Rampage 3 and it's a great board and it meets his criteria, I definitely recommend it.

EVGA is coming out with a new competitor that has USB3.0, but I think it may be a while until it comes out.

Good info to know, thanks for sharing!

not a bad choice at all take a look at asrock if he wants to save some cash for sure..

Last edited:
Asus Ramage III Extreme is an excellent board for extreme overclocking; however, Asus R III E have some minor issues such as missing screw on NorthBridge Heatsink which cause overheat, sata iii raid, only 3 ways sli.

^I haven't had any problem with the NB overheating. Also the guy didn't say he needed 3x or 4x sli, or RAID.

Back