• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need more voltage on a 6950

OutKlast

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
121
I'm looking to get a little more GPU voltage for my ATI 6950; nothing crazy but maybe 1.2-1.25v max. The card is a 2GB Sapphire 6950.

These are the options I've tried so far:

MSI Afterburner
I checked the voltage unlock buttons and tried manually editing the .cfg file but it won't let me change the voltage at all. It is completely locked down.

Sapphire TriXX
This allows a little bit of voltage adjustment up to 1.185 from 1.100 stock.

Radeon BIOS Editor
I tried manually upping the voltage to 1.17 thinking TriXX would then allow me an additional .085 bringing me to 1.255. Unfortunately, it BSOD on an ATI driver as soon as the computer tries to boot into Windows. I tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but again as soon as the ATI drivers are installed Windows will no longer boot. It will boot without the ATI drivers but that doesn't do me any good.

I may not be using RBE correctly though. I changed the clock setting 00 for the voltage. The "auto" overclock box puts it somewhere else. I was hoping someone here with this card or at least this card series could guide me.

Thanks.
 
Make sure you're changing the correct voltage register in RBE. For my two cards one of them was single card 3d voltage and another was multi cards 3d voltage. Do a search for my post here. Also try going up in increments. I tried jumping to 1.25v in RBE and my cards wouldn't boot. Moving gradually though I was able to run 1.3v no problem.
 
I'm looking to get a little more GPU voltage for my ATI 6950; nothing crazy but maybe 1.2-1.25v max. The card is a 2GB Sapphire 6950.

These are the options I've tried so far:

MSI Afterburner
I checked the voltage unlock buttons and tried manually editing the .cfg file but it won't let me change the voltage at all. It is completely locked down.

Sapphire TriXX
This allows a little bit of voltage adjustment up to 1.185 from 1.100 stock.

Radeon BIOS Editor
I tried manually upping the voltage to 1.17 thinking TriXX would then allow me an additional .085 bringing me to 1.255. Unfortunately, it BSOD on an ATI driver as soon as the computer tries to boot into Windows. I tried deleting and reinstalling drivers but again as soon as the ATI drivers are installed Windows will no longer boot. It will boot without the ATI drivers but that doesn't do me any good.

I may not be using RBE correctly though. I changed the clock setting 00 for the voltage. The "auto" overclock box puts it somewhere else. I was hoping someone here with this card or at least this card series could guide me.

Thanks.

OutKlast my friend you should have told me you wanted to try this. What you want to do is load the bios into RBE, then go into the clock settings tab and then click on the GPU Registers button. When that mini window opens you will see vid 1 through vid 4 across the top. Change Vid 3 and Vid 4 to the high voltage you want and then click okay. Then save the bios, Close RBE, Open that new bios and then flash it. Post back and let me know how it goes.
 
OutKlast my friend you should have told me you wanted to try this. What you want to do is load the bios into RBE, then go into the clock settings tab and then click on the GPU Registers button. When that mini window opens you will see vid 1 through vid 4 across the top. Change Vid 3 and Vid 4 to the high voltage you want and then click okay. Then save the bios, Close RBE, Open that new bios and then flash it. Post back and let me know how it goes.

The GPU Registers and VTT Registers button are both greyed out. I have version 1.28 of RBE, not sure if this is the newest.
 
that is the newest version. Your loading the bios in RBE right? BTW Is that the bios you backed up from the card in the secondary bios position? Maybe this card just doesn't allow a higher voltage right now and support for it needs to be added to future versions of Trixx or other programs. Let me research for a while but double check your loading the bios from the secondary position that you backed up.
 
that is the newest version. Your loading the bios in RBE right? BTW Is that the bios you backed up from the card in the secondary bios position? Maybe this card just doesn't allow a higher voltage right now and support for it needs to be added to future versions of Trixx or other programs. Let me research for a while but double check your loading the bios from the secondary position that you backed up.

Yes, this is the secondary bios. I saved an unedited copy from GPU-Z and loaded that into RBE. That is the one I edited at first and later replaced with the stock BIOS again when it didn't work.
 
Yes, this is the secondary bios. I saved an unedited copy from GPU-Z and loaded that into RBE. That is the one I edited at first and later replaced with the stock BIOS again when it didn't work.

I can't find a single review or reference that shows this card running any more voltage than 1.175v. Strange.

How far have you been able to push the voltage and clocks so far?
 
I can't find a single review or reference that shows this card running any more voltage than 1.175v. Strange.

How far have you been able to push the voltage and clocks so far?

1.18v, 915/1400 on the clocks. I had it at 930/1350 for about 40 minutes of BF3 before it went nutty on me. I'm really looking to gain some processing power to do more post-processing without hitting the FPS so much.
 
So both the sapphire toxic 6950 and the dirt 3 6950s both only seem to go up to 1.18V currently. Perhaps a tool will be available later OR a update to afterburner or trixx that will allow for more. For now, I just wanted to ask if you set a more aggressive custom fan profile using afterburner so that you can keep the card cooler under load. It may help you squeeze a higher stable overclock for the time being. I still want to look into this further. I'll update the thread if I find anything that may help you go higher on the voltage.

Found this thread and it's recent

http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/1148697-how-increase-sapphire-6950-voltage.html

Seems the sapphire cards are indeed limited to 1.18v. Patience may net you a higher voltage, it may just take waiting for an updated utility later.

Also try using the +50 powertune setting and see if that helps you reach a higher overclock.
 
Back
Top