Need "Modder's Mesh" Cheap....

superkdogg

Gawd
I'm looking to make some blowholes and cuts and whatnot. The places that I can find Modder's Mesh in honeycomb configuration want what I feel is too much $ for it (about $10/sq. ft.). Does anybody know how/where to get it cheaper? Or in bigger quantities than 2 sq. ft.? I know that this would make a lot of grills, but I have in mind a mesh+sanded plexi window that could be cool if it works right. I'm obviously pretty cheap, but let me know where you all get it from and how much you pay.

Thanks

Not sure where you are located ..... IMO by far the best resource is your local phone book.
Check for welding &/or sheet metal shops in your area. Sometimes the mesh is also called
"filter mesh" or "screening".

Get all my materials (aluminum, stainless, steel, etc ...) from a local shop. Much cheaper
then other resources. And they don't charge for simple cuts.

- P. S. - here is some honeycomb mesh for $6 sq foot : http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html

Just buy it from MNPCTech ^^,
I know it may be pricey, but he can answer pretty much any question you have about it, and really now, we wouldn't want him to go out of business, would we? :p

Quoted from website:

Who came up with the name "Modder's Mesh" and where can I buy it?
I gave it the name in 2001. It just made sense and it had a nice ring to it I've heard of people going to Home Depot and asking "Wheres your Modder's Mesh?"

Yeah, maybe it might be good to buy from the guy who practically invented the stuff! His price isn't too bad as long as shipping doesn't kill me.

Invented the name you mean? :p

Seriously though, will a 1' x 2' sq ft sheet be adequate size for your project?

Kraft store, like Michael's Hobbies. Several types of perforated metal screen, mesh, and expanded metal mesh.

McMaster-Carr is also a great online source for all kinds of hardware goods http://www.mcmaster.com/

I dont know how cheap you're expecting but you are not going to find it in sheets 1'x1' unless you're buying in volume. So it's probably a good idea just to buy it from mnpctech.

They usually want you to buy a decent sized sheet (at least locally that's what I do). 36"x48" or so. It ranges in price....could be $30,40,50.....

Performance PC's carries a few different typs in squares of 500x500mm (19.68"x19.68"). But they want like $19.95 a sheet.

if you want to, u can also make ur own. go to target or something like that, they have mesh office equipment, like mesh trash cans. buy one of those, cut out the mesh, flatten it underneath a pile of books or something (just leave it overnight or longer if it doesnt flatten out instantly), and voila, its cheap and u have a bunch of it. and u can spraypaint it too if u want to.

Susquehannock - P. S. - here is some honeycomb mesh for $6 sq foot : [url said:
http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html[/url]

:D I just ordered a 2'x1' and some u channel. under 24 bucks shipped , not bad if you ask me.

Susquehannock said:
Invented the name you mean? :p

Seriously though, will a 1' x 2' sq ft sheet be adequate size for your project?

I did know that he only named vs. invented it...sometimes sarcasm is hard to get across in a post. Yeah, 1x2 would do it for my project just fine, I just like to buy in bigger quantities and I was thinking that there would be an industrial application that would sell this stuff a little cheaper. Such as the mcmaster place listed above that sells a 36"x40" sheet for $30 plus shipping (that's why this forum rules-I could never have found that! :D ).

Plus, some of those links have other stuff that I'm looking for such as quick connects and other water cooling supplies that are hard to find in my small town.

The links above are all very helpful-thanks!

Update: If you want a nice big, free flowing but not all that protective mesh (these things are fine by me) I found the best thing (at least for my needs) to be Gutter Guard at a local hardware store.

It has about 1/2"x3/4" diamond shaped holes and comes ready to paint with minimal prep. This'll work fine for me and at a cost of $3.50 for a 6"x36" piece the price was certainly right.

Woah... Gutter guard has MUCH smaller holes than that.
I think you mean expanded metal? (Gutter guard is just expanded metal, but it's alot smaller than the stuff they sell in sheets and it comes on rolls).

I checked out gutter guards several times, I thought , use mesh but be alittle bit different, however, they were just alittle too big for my tastes. I also checked out stucco mesh, if I didnt have to buy a GIANT sheet I probably would have used that. It looks cool, its different than what moste people are using and not terribly expensive, but the holes are a tad oversized... however they'd look pretty cool behind some plexi :D

penguin said:
Woah... Gutter guard has MUCH smaller holes than that.
I think you mean expanded metal? (Gutter guard is just expanded metal, but it's alot smaller than the stuff they sell in sheets and it comes on rolls).

You're probably right. I didn't mean to misinform, I just made rough estimates. I differ to your knowledge on how big the holes are. Sorry if anybody took me literally above :(

Back