Need mobo suggestions, P35 or P45

Do you all think the Biostar boards would be able to reliably do 425 FSB? That's where I'd like to sit as now I'm leaning towards getting the Q9300 since it can be had for $200 at Fry's B&M.

Yes, but it may need a 40-50mm fan on the NB heatsink. Try it, and touch the heatsink. If its too hot to keep a finger on, then add a fan.

Man I wish that were true... wouldn't need to shop, or read reviews, or study benchmarks. Just go to NewEgg sort by "highest price" and be done with it! ;)

By the same logic......why put a 400 dollar CPU, 200 dollars Ram and a 500 dollar GPU on a 90 dollar MB????

People are willing to go balls to the wall on a GPU but want to save 25 bucks on the MB.....I'm just sayin';)

Do you all think the Biostar boards would be able to reliably do 425 FSB? That's where I'd like to sit as now I'm leaning towards getting the Q9300 since it can be had for $200 at Fry's B&M.

No problem at all. I've had mine up to about 475 FSB with my quad. 425 should be easy assuming your ram can handle it, especially with the newer boards you're looking at.

On mine you do have to watch it though, if you leave voltages on "auto" and overclock, it will automatically increase the voltage for you! Sometimes more than you'd like. So I had to set everything to stock values first.

And a small fan on the chipset does help, but is not entirely necessary if you don't increase the chipset voltage. It just depends on how far you want to go with it. At 425, I doubt that it will be necessary. The real test though, as was mentioned, is to put your finger on it.

By the same logic......why put a 400 dollar CPU, 200 dollars Ram and a 500 dollar GPU on a 90 dollar MB????

People are willing to go balls to the wall on a GPU but want to save 25 bucks on the MB.....I'm just sayin';)

I picked up a 680i motherboard for $150 from a friend. It was within the stepup window with EVGA so I spent the extra 80 or 90 and "stepped up" to the 780i. BIG MISTAKE. The 680i was giving me a spectacular 3.65GHz 100% stable with decent temps, even though I only had the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro to chill my Q6700. It was phenomenal. But the buddy that sold me his 680i said he was getting even better overclocks with his 780i and urged me to step up.

Once I did, I received the new 780i and had problems right away. None of the ESA software was worth a crap. Fan control didn't work at all correctly, even on the CPU fan. And I couldn't overclock even to 3.0GHz with a chip I know is 100% stable much higher. I called EVGA (whose service rocks, by the way) I told them what was up and they promptly shipped me a revision 2 board. I was able to hit 3.2GHz reasonably stable, but never any higher, even though I upgraded to the gigantor TRUE with sweet 120mm fan strapped on. 3.33 = unstable, no matter what voltage (not memory related by the way, this memory is a memtest champ all the way up to 1000GHz with tighter than stock timings)

Eventually even the 3.2GHz overclock became unstable, and the ESA software (which worked at first with my 2nd revision replacement board just fine) completely stopped working. I updated the drivers, updated the BIOS on the motherboard, and reinstalled the nVidia Performance (ESA) software on my computer. Now the ESA software is working but with the new BIOS this thing won't overclock worth a crap!!

3.0GHz requires at least 1.42 to be stable, which shouldn't be a big deal with a TRUE. BUt at that voltage my temps climb to 50c at idle!!! in the mid 60's under Prime95 with small fft's. As soon as I set everything to stock, boom, temps are back in the 30's and my compy is happy.

I went from a $150 overclocking CHAMP to a $250 flop, so YES, sometimes you can get a great board for around $100. My Abit 680i board was 100% stable at 3.33GHz with great temps and it was only $119 after a mail in rebate, which took a while to get, but I did get it. Both my "cheap" motherboards were far more stable, overclockable, and reliable than the more expensive 780i's that I've had...

(by the way, i think I'm hitting up an Intel chipset for my next board. I was excited to get a second GTS 512 for $150 a.r. and do some SLI action, but I might sell it instead and go 4850/70 with an Intel board. I want better quad overclocks!!! :p)

Back