need Microphone Help with Claro+ please?

ditzilla

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
421
Hi

Been awhile, life's just been really busy.

Computer is the one in my sig, have HT Omega Claro+ soundcard, and I'm doing online broadcasting (talking) and thanks to a friend, online karaoke (don't laugh ... too much).

It's this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271003 (no I didn't pay that much, got it on a great sale)

Anyway, I did the n00b thing and went to Radio Shack and bought a dynamic mic with 3.5mm adapter. Of course it didn't work, and I now know there's 2 reasons.

From reading the booklet with the Claro+, all I saw was:

"MIC IN (3.5mm stereo jack): Connects to external condenser or dynamic microphone for voice input. Special OPAMP controlled preamp circuits on board provide increased MIC input gain."

I assumed (wrongly) I could just buy the mic and adapter and be on my merry way. When it just wouldn't work I googled and read that "normal" dynamic mics just won't work plugged into a soundcard - period.

The other issue is that the Claro+ will ONLY accept a 3.5mm stereo jack - you get nothing if you try using mono - that I got from HT Omega tech support. I contacted them after buying (and subsequently returning) a Sony V series $70 mic that has for some reason a mono jack - and no, a stereo adapter did not do the trick.

So, right now I'm using both a computer condenser type mic and "dynamic" type mic with the 3.5mm stereo jack ... I sound either tinny (condenser) or muddy (dynamic).

I don't have a stereo system - I can't afford it, I have no room for it either. I use headphones 99.999% of the time so as to not bother the roomie or neighbors. Plus I just hear better through them.

I've thought about getting a karaoke machine without speakers (and a mic jack) and try to figure out how to connect that to the soundcard (RCA red & white male to 3.5 stereo male? - to line in???) but I don't know if it'll work and I don't know if I need line in and line out - which this card doesn't have (line out ... I don't think?).

OR do I just get a mic pre-amp (was suggested, but person had no clue on which one and how they get connected and neither do I) and a dynamic mic.

HELP???

I'm thinking? the least expensive, least amount of "stuff" would be a mic pre-amp and a dynamic unidirectional mic. But what to get, how to set things up, it's honestly beyond me since I've never done anything like this.

And no, I don't want to go USB. First of all I have an amazing soundcard that I paid a lot for, and second, the noise from my front panel is horrific - I actually did try a USB mic. Static, buzz, hum ... oh joy. Same thing when I tried hooking the Claro+ to the front panel. It would've allowed use of a mono jack, but again, the noise was ridiculous. And no, unfortunately, I can't begin to be able to afford or justify the new Halo.

Any advice is greatly appreciated ... but please, in really simple language? I'm older and do get confused easily.
 
Back
Top