Need Loudest Computer Speakers

gamer1drew

Weaksauce
Sorry if someone has asked a similiar question, but my dorm floor has frequent sound wars Ive been suckin it up with my z-640s. Ive been looking at new speakers and was wondering if 500watt Z-680s were about as loud as Creative S750s or Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1s? What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

If "volume" is the main requirement, and I haven't actually tried this, I bet if I plugged my Audigy 2 ZS into my 100 watt plexi Marshall stack - it would be pretty loud. Not the best 5.1 sound, but enough to make the spirit of Jimi happy.

Alex

all i know is ive never gotten my klipsch's to max volume for fear of loosing my hearing, cranked up to 80% even hurts :(

you should see of compusa has some that you can test out :D

friend of mine with his 680's he's found the frequency of his apartment building with the bass.

If you want volume then you can get much better with regular speakers(as opposed to computer speakers). The drivers in computer speakers are pretty damn small. Bigger speakers travel farther and can push a lot more air. If the people you are having the war with are right next to you then get some bass shakers and attach them to the wall.

Get some PA speakers. They are big, well-built, and can go loud as hell. In a dorm room, you could probably hit 115dB, which would get the housefellow over there in a second =]

I heard that the Telex EV Sonic Series could go pretty loud. They made thier name with PA speakers. They have horn-loaded speakers whench are generally pretty efficient. They're out of production, however. YOu'd have to look on ebay and the like.

PsychoZX said:

Let's see... 97dB sensitivity @ 1m/1W, a 1000W amp, so after room gain, you'll be getting perhaps 125dB =]

Somewhere I saw some speakers that were 107dB sensitive, so you'd get 137dB with that same amp. Moot point I spose, as you would likely put everyone in the room in the hospital with damaged eardrums with either set of speakers. Even 110dB is earsplittingly loud for me, but ~3times that loud? Ouch.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Unless this 1000W amp was a couple thousand dollars you would most likely blow the speakers though clipping well before you reach 120dB.

hooting_monkey said:
Unless this 1000W amp was a couple thousand dollars you would most likely blow the speakers though clipping well before you reach 120dB.

Perhaps,.but it is just a PA amp. The quality might not be great, but I'd bet that it probably would throw out a huge amount of power without too much trouble.

LOL.. have to laugh here. Buying new speakers just for loudness.. wow. True sign of a typical college student. What are you trying to prove?

geez, i hardly get to use the loudness of my z680's for fear of getting written up

Paragon said:
LOL.. have to laugh here. Buying new speakers just for loudness.. wow. True sign of a typical college student. What are you trying to prove?
I must admit I was in that phase myself. Luckily for me I reasoned my way out of it. Theres plenty of consequences for excessive noise where I go to college, and since the dorm hall is a concrete building, even the simplest of speakers can seem giant.

Back