Need L3 Managed Switch

I want to be able to route between VLANs. It's my understanding that I need a L3 switch to be able to do that. Otherwise, I would need a router and a L2 switch.

Layer 2 is easier for vlans imho.
 
I just purchased 2 of the 5224 from ebay, waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully they will fill my needs. I would rather have a Cisco, but I don't want to spend $$$. I need to get rid of my Netgear GS724T.

I have the 48 port version "V1" hardware and it blows....lacp is non-existant.

My HP 1910-16G I picked up "Bstock" from cdw for $135 or so is LEAPS & BOUNDS better..

With all that being said, why not get L2 & then run a pfsense vm or pfsense box?
 
I have the 48 port version "V1" hardware and it blows....lacp is non-existant.

My HP 1910-16G I picked up "Bstock" from cdw for $135 or so is LEAPS & BOUNDS better..

With all that being said, why not get L2 & then run a pfsense vm or pfsense box?

the 5224 is layer 2 :)
 
Back
Top