Need internet filtering for small private school.

mobiux

2[H]4U
So, I am looking for an inexpensive as possible way to block sites network wide for a small catholic school I do part time sysadmin work for.
They have about 35 computers and need to have ranges of sites blocked.
They, as most places do, have had problems with spyware/adware.
I've setup clones to allow them to redo the machines if necessary, but they would prefer to stop it before it gets in the building.

I've read up on a couple things, but haven't found one product/solution that stands out.

I'm not really well versed in linux, so I would prefer a windows based, but if it's easier and cheaper I would give linux a shot.

Depending on how your internet connection is and what hardware you use to connect it, you might think about setting up a simple ClarkConnect system to run your filtering and maybe firewall also. Put some anti-spyware and anti-virus on each individual computer and you should be OK. At my school (250-300 systems) we use a hardware firewall/filter called Sonicwall but I'd say that's overkill for just 35 systems.

Might look at Censornet Linux based but user-level access through integration with NT and/or AD domains. I played around with it for a while last yeat and was impressed, but haven't seen the newest build. It's free and definitely worth your time to investigate.

I use censornet at a highschool I do admin work for. It doesn't stop spyware but does a good job of content filtering.

I don't know of many products that do a good job with spyware. I'd say either put microsoft antispyware on each machine (if they're XP) or don't give them rights on each computer to install anything at all. (thus preventing them from having the rights necessary to install spyware)

Although sorta price. May want to look into a Server based Antivirus. I would look into the new Trend Micro Corp. I think it was about 500 for 10 machines we did last time. But that also cuts down teh cost of buying antivirus clients for each and spyware and the filtering/firewall.

It has spware/virius/and content filtering as well

But may be expensive.

ICQ me on monday, I'll help you with the school now that I'm back, if the school wants to pay a subscription fee for a sonicwall i'll give you one, otherwise i can help ya with the linux stuff.

websense! just kidding, we pay like 15G a year for that.

off the top of my head, you could try this super, duper hosts file that i found once. it blocks tons and tons of pages. as the kids visit sites they shouldn't, you can track that, add them to the hosts file. let me try to find the link for you.

shoot, i have it but cannot remember where i downloaded it from. i can email it to you if you want. reply w/ a email addy or pm me.

mobiux said:
So, I am looking for an inexpensive as possible way to block sites network wide for a small catholic school I do part time sysadmin work for.

Are they a 501(c)(3) nonprofit? If so, check out www.techsoup.org.

Sample prices:

Microsoft ISA`Server 2004 $60.50

Cisco PIX 506E Firewall $85.00

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.0 (with 50-User License) $130.00

/edit: never mind, schools are specifically EXCLUDED

Back