• Great friend of mine with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    https://athleteoftheyear.org/2026/keenan-a856

Need Input on Lab Systems

ClariorHincHonos

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
1,972
Hey guys! I wanted to get some feedback and possible performance tips for two VM systems I have in the works.

1. Kubuntu + QEMU/KVM
This machine is at work with me, and primarily is being used for MS cert work. I'm trying to get through Server 2008 certs, and since I am more of a hands on learner, I wanted to have something to work with.​

  • AMD X4 620
  • 12GB DDR3 1333
  • 1xSATA 400GB (OS Only)
  • 3x Samsung 830 64GB SSD - LVM RAID0/striped (VMSTORE)

I have the basics setup, and have created a bridge to have them on the network in case I need to RDP etc. I am open to restructuring the storage, and any tips on getting the most out of the hardware. I imagine no more than 3-4 guests on this setup.

2. ESXi Build
This machine will be at home, and will serve as my main storage and application setup, as well as a learning lab. I'd like to work on MS cert stuff there, as well as VMWare management. As for the live day to day needs, I currently run an Ubuntu system with MD volumes for storage, Ampache for music sharing, and that's about it. So I'd need to virtualize storage, and the OS for Ampache. I also need a Windows server to run Zoneminder, and possibly WHS2011 for backups on my client machines.​
  • 2x Xeon L5420
  • Asus DSAN-DX
  • 24GB DDR2667 Registered ECC (planned)
  • 8x Samsung 1TB 7200RPM
  • 4x Samsung 1TB 5400 RPM
  • IBM/LSI 1015 (planned)

Will this hardware do well with current VMWare tech? Will I be missing things like VT-d? Should any improvements be made? And recommended setups?
 
KVM:
>LVM RAID0
Wut? Do you have backups?
ESXi:
>Asus DSAN-DX
Not sure if this one support VT-D. Also if you want ZFS, you should put some SSDs for cache.

Overall, good setup except:
>DDR2667
Will be pretty expensive :)
 
KVM:
>LVM RAID0
Wut? Do you have backups?

It's for testing/lab use only. If it dies, it would suck a little, but no big loss. Speed/space was more important, as well as ease of use (one store vs. three).


ESXi:
>Asus DSAN-DX
Not sure if this one support VT-D. Also if you want ZFS, you should put some SSDs for cache.

I'm thinking it won't support VT-D, which might be an issue. Eventually I might take the SSD drives from above and move them over.


Overall, good setup except:
>DDR2667
Will be pretty expensive :)

Found a source for the RAM, $165 for 24GB. Not cheap, but not crazy either.
 
Back
Top