Need info on 55''-65" 4K monitors or TV's doing great monitor duty

RJA

Weaksauce
I will try to keep this short but need to provide some background.

I've decided to dethrone the 1080p TV from the living room and move the PC in, traditionally sized monitors are out of the picture here.

I tried buying a 55", 4K Wasabi Mango monitor out of S. Korea, twice. Both got destroyed in shipping. I am having a tough time finding a large monitor, let alone a seller that is willing to ship in a crate, which is the only reliable way to ship large monitors. There are alternative options using identical panels such as Microboard and Crossover, the aforementioned issues come up again. I even messaged a few sellers, offered to pay more for perfect pixel versions and shipping in a crate. Maybe others here are aware of options I haven't tried.

Which brings me to the alternative, TV's as monitors. I set a $1700 budget, yet can't find a clear winner. I thought the Vizio P series is it but then I read it doesn't do "true" 4:4:4 chroma. Input lag disqualifies quite a few others.

I've been doing quite a bit of research of 4K monitors, I thought I was set with the 55" monitor. Now that some time has transpired since and we've seen 4K/60+ panels that take advantage of DP 1.3 & DP 1.4, would I be better off waiting a few months? Is it even reasonable to expect a large panel of the faster refresh rate variant to hit the market soon?

Any useful links for research you guys can share?

TIA

The KS8000 is pretty good but it's an edge-lit. If poor bad levels doesn't bother you, I would get that one.

Despite the KS8000 being edge lit, if you don't need the backlight turned up all the way the blacks can still get very black. I was surprised with my set. Rtings also mentions that these sets produce some of the best blacks short of the Vizio's 2016 P series with FALD (which is recommended for dark rooms due to limited max brightness) and OLEDs. Also input lag between the KS and the new P series is about 21ms vs 19ms respectively (in game mode). The KS goes on sale regularly too. It was just recently on sale for $1700 shipped from Adorama Camera which is where I got mine. Took about a week and a half for it to ship from NJ to CA, but it arrived in perfect condition. The build quality on the KS is also fantastic and setting it up was one of the easiest things I've done all week. So I'd also recommend the KS.

Edit: And I don't care what people say about the One Connect box. I love how convenient it is. We have it placed right behind our center channel speaker so most people don't even know it's there. But if you need to plug something in? Easy, just slide the box out. No need to get behind the TV, bust out the flash light, and figure out which port to plug in.. I personally hope they continue using these in the future.

Last edited:
Back