Need Info - CPU tri or Quad Core ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not see a difference in performance. Now going from a X3 to a X6 will show an improvement, but is really dependent on what it is that you are doing. Some games and Photoshop work will definitely show an improvement.

well, I pretty much just play the Mass Effect series, especially ME1, and also Crysis. With me1, I'm seeing no fps increase when I OC the MSI 460GTX 1GB card from 725MHz/1800 stock settings to 850/1900

You're really having issues with ME1? I think I ran that with full detail 4xAA and my gaming rig is less powerful than my work rig... it has an [email protected] and an hd5850.

I doubt it's your cpu, mine's terrible and I ran that with no issues at 1900x1200. I had a few slowdowns in ME2, but nothing really bad.

Yes a Phenom x4 is much faster than a Ahtlon II x3 in gamming. Like 40% faster in some games.

+1 for what happymedium said. The presence of L3 cache in addition to an extra core along with the higher clock speeds make it a no brainer. Go for the upgrade!

Try to unlock your CPU first. If that fails, I would rather just jump straight to a 1055T rather than a quad core.

955 is better just because its black edition. Hopefully its C3 core. People are hitting 3.8 to 4+Ghz on those C3 core CPUs.

If your motherboard is strong enough and you can set the Vcore to1.50V you should be good.

Just up the CPU multi and voltage see how that goes. Leave everything else at stock.

Level 3 Cache helps for games and winrar but does almost nothing for some tasks video encoding rendering etc.

Even one extra core will have an effect on multi threaded applications obviously a 6 core will be more significant.

Yeah, not much of an upgrade. I'm planning on upgrading to an X6 tho when bulldozer comes out

Basically its what its worth to you, the 955 overclocks to 3.6 to 4.0, you get the benefit of L3 cache,
and considerable tweaking over the 620.
An SSD might be a better investment. I'm not familiar with your favorite game requirements.
The 955 is available retail at $ 120 new retail.
$80 is probably worth it, can you arrange a trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back