need immediate help with something I deleted

misterbobby

2[H]4U
I have the PNY Attache 16gb thumb drive and I guess I accidentally deleted something important as its only being recognized as 48.8 mb. I need to be able fix this but cant figure out what I need to do.

What partitions show up in disk management?

Before you do anything, back up anything you may want on it (presumably not much?).

What partitions show up in disk management?

Before you do anything, back up anything you may want on it (presumably not much?).
There is nothing on it. I had memtest on it and was deleting that and I guess I accidentally deleted some file for windows to recognize the drive.

upload pic

You should be able to simply delete the existing partition in disk management. It should then show full unallocated space which you create a new partition from.

You must have accidentally deleted the partition I guess. I would definitely suggest to use MiniTool Partition Recovery if you had something on that partition to be recovered or just simply use the tool if you want to repartition/resize and manage the volumes of your drive. Or you can also try using diskpart to fix that problem.

Should you have done something REAL bad and nothing will mount the thumbdrive you can use a Linux Live CD and pull up a terminal and use "dd" to write all zero's to the entire flash drive. Then any machine should be able to recognize it as blank and let you format it. Also if dd doesn't write a full 16GB of data, like it writes significantly less, then you'll know something happened to the flash cells or the controller.

I had to do this when I botched a bootable flash drive format.

I think diskpart will do to fix that.

1) Open a command prompt (run as administrator).
2) Type in diskpart and press enter
3) type in list disk and press enter
4) type the select disk x (substitute x with the corresponding disk number of your flash drive in the list) and press enter
5) type in clean and press enter
6) type in create partition primary and press enter
7) type in active and press enter
8) type in format fs=ntfs label=PNY_16GB quick and press enter
9) type in assign and press enter
10) type in exit and press enter

and you're done.

I think diskpart will do to fix that.

1) Open a command prompt (run as administrator).
2) Type in diskpart and press enter
3) type in list disk and press enter
4) type the select disk x (substitute x with the corresponding disk number of your flash drive in the list) and press enter
5) type in clean and press enter
6) type in create partition primary and press enter
7) type in active and press enter
8) type in format fs=ntfs label=PNY_16GB quick and press enter
9) type in assign and press enter
10) type in exit and press enter

and you're done.
Well that seemed to have done the trick now. THANKS

And does NTFS or FAT matter on a thumb drive?

it really doesn't matter, unless you plan on using it to a machine that doesn't understand NTFS yet :)

Back