• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need image quality on the cheap. (LCD)

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Oct 21, 2001
Messages
6,365
Hey,

Though it's nice to have quick response times, I'm kinda disappointed that all the cheap monitors (that have impressive 12/16ms response times) are analog and TN, unfortunately.

But I really couldn't care less about response time, I don't play games enough, nor watch enough movies. So pretty much I'm looking for a 25ms panel, because those are usually MVA or PVA (don't remember the difference) and those have better colour reproduction, etc.

I'm a digital photographer, and 95% of the time I use my desktop is to use photoshop. I'm considering a honking 21" CRT for less than most 17" digital panels, but my desk space is uber limited and quite honestly I don't think my el cheapo desk will handle it :)

As of right now, I'm considering the LG 1811S. It's 18" and 25ms with DVI. And cheaper compared to other 18"s. There's no point going to 19" because they're all the same resolution. As for 15", I can't stand 10x7, not even two of them (which is gonna be way more expensive).

Thoughts?
 
Are you sure ghosting really doesn't matter to you? I thought it didn't to me either, but that's before I tried the 20ms 1905FP that I'm currently typing on. Don't get me wrong, you get used to it, but it takes some time.
 
Slider19 said:
Are you sure ghosting really doesn't matter to you? I thought it didn't to me either, but that's before I tried the 20ms 1905FP that I'm currently typing on. Don't get me wrong, you get used to it, but it takes some time.

I also heard 25ms TN panels are way slower than MVA/PVA panels. It's far too complicated for me to figure out, lol. Computers aren't really my hobby anymore.

Anywho, like I said, I don't play games. And the ones I do, I don't find ghosting distracting on my 14.1" laptop LCD, which I'm sure is worse than the ones I'm looking at.
 
TechStuey05 said:
How about the Samsung 173p? it's only 17" though

Roffle, that's one of the most expensive 17" panels I've ever seen lol.
 
KevC said:
Roffle, that's one of the most expensive 17" panels I've ever seen lol.


Just go with LG like you suggested.

It's gets no better than that with that price.
 
Justinkoko said:
Just go with LG like you suggested.

It's gets no better than that with that price.

Ah. I just realised it was IPS. Awesome, exactly what I needed!
 
Yep, can't really beat an IPS monitor right now for having both good performance, viewing angles, and color reproduction.
 
It seems odd to me that you'd wanna go to LCD anyway, since you say the thing you do primarily with your computer is use photoshop...

I'd probably just get another CRT at that point.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
It seems odd to me that you'd wanna go to LCD anyway, since you say the thing you do primarily with your computer is use photoshop...

I'd probably just get another CRT at that point.


Agreed , from my experiance with running dual monitors (a CRT & LCD) I would definately want a CRT for photographs / photoshop work.
 
well he says he don't have deskspace for it. I wouldn't want a 21" lugging down my desk either.
 
Xeon22 said:
well he says he don't have deskspace for it. I wouldn't want a 21" lugging down my desk either.

Well if he's willing to go with a 17" or 19" LCD, he could do the same with CRT. However I do understand the desire for deskspace, and I realize that not everyone can just "buy another desk" but he's going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere: image quality, desk space, or cost.

Personally I would opt to go with the best image at the cost of desk space. Or buy another desk and sacrifice cost.

But torwards the original ops question I personally went with 2005fpw which is slightly above what you stated for size range. It probably doesn't have the same color reproduction as the IPS panel, so you probably should go with that.
 
I got a Dell 1905FP for $267 shipped, tax included, over the phone.

That panel is 20ms and 8bit for a true 16.7million color range.
 
UnknownSouljer said:
But torwards the original ops question I personally went with 2005fpw which is slightly above what you stated for size range. It probably doesn't have the same color reproduction as the IPS panel, so you probably should go with that.

IIRC, the 20" and larger Dell LCDs are IPS panels. Can someone confirm this?
 
DanK said:
IIRC, the 20" and larger Dell LCDs are IPS panels. Can someone confirm this?

The Dell 2001FP and 2005FPW both use IPS panels and the 2405FPW uses PVA.
 
I knew the 2005 could not be TN. The picture quality is just too good. Coming from a viewsonic 19" 16ms panel, even though the 2005fpw has a faster response time, the image quality just blows away the viewsonic.
 
Back
Top