Need help with XPS laptop

I need help with the XPS laptop that we have. When we start up the computer a lot of times it doesn't start up the LCD screen. The computer is running, its just that nothing comes on the screen - it just turns off. Here is what happens:

I press the power button.
Bios loads.
Windows loading screen comes up and loads.

Then it turns off. Would this be because its a regular installation of Windows? Are there special drivers for LCD screens? I have tried the Dell video drivers from their website, and the Omega drivers (which say they support the Mobility 9700,) but have had no success. The funny thing is that that when I boot into safe mode it loads up just fine, but I still can't play 3d games or use the internet. Can someone offer help?

If you have a spare monitor you could hook it up to that and see if itll work that way... if not do what i alwys do when things go horribly wrong....reformat. there shouldnt be any drivers issues with the lcd especially if its working in safemode. oh how old is it and why did you reinstall windows in the first place also what version of windows if its xp with sp2 it should be fine....but maybe if ure using like 98 or somthing it mite tweak out.

sounds like a borked driver somewhere. there's a setting (somewhere) that tells the comp to reboot after a bsod. uncheck that setting and you'll be able to tell what's going on (i think)

it doesnt BSOD anywhere. its just that the lcd screen does not work when i install drivers. fyi, i am using XP with sp2

:rolleyes: hoo boy.

i think we got another case of a borked sp2 install here folks.

not much you can do except reinstall and hope it works.

i was saying try another monitor cause it could be a hardware problem. ! good smack i the wrng spot on a laptop and bam your out of a lcd screen. happened to one of my firends wokked for a while with a fist impring in the background but than after a week just died.

Probably the drivers are the culprit...that'd be the only explanation I could think of.

Might be a long shot but i actually have had a virus that did this. What i did to get into windows correctly was went to msconfig and did a selective start and got rid of everything in the startup area. That way i could get into windows in something other than safe mode. Just a long shot otherwise it's as everybody else says and a borked SP2 install.

Back