Need Help with Win 7 Login Error.

Hi.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel Core i7 860
Asus P7P55D motherboard
8GB GSkill Ram
Asus Radeon 4870 1GB

I downloaded Modern Warfare 2 from Steam to play for the free weekend. I played it once for about an hour and a half, and it crashed. The screen went black, I could hear audio for another minute, and then the audio stuttered out and rebooted the machine. I tried playing it again for a second time, played fine for about an hour and then crashed out the same way.

After the computer rebooted, I get to the default windows 7 background and the green circle, and it tells me this "system event notification service failed the logon. the remote procedure call failed and did not execute" and there is only an OK button to click. If I click this button, it tries to logon again and it wont work. If I try to boot into safe mode, I get an error that says "The Group Policy Client service failed the logon. The remote procedure call failed and did not execute."

I have Googled this message, but nothing really applies because they all mention this problem in relation to switching login accounts. I have no other login accounts on this computer, I don't even put in a password to start it up.

So I have inserted the Win7 disk and tried to restore to two different earlier points, and it did not help. I also tried using the automatic fix on the Win7 disk without any luck. Goddamn MW2!!!

thanks for any help in advance.

I don't necessarily know how to resolve your issue, but I can comment that you should check for hardware instability. It sounds like the crashes may have corrupted the OS in some way. Are you going to lose a bunch of data if you have to re-install Windows?

I'm slowly getting everything off now by booting ubuntu and moving stuff onto a usb drive. but i would like to recover windows if at all possible. It was hoping that I could use a command line something to reset whatever happened. Not sure why the hardware decided to crap out, I built it in November, and I thought I had all the latest drivers.

MW2 could have been stressful enough to push a weak device past it's breaking point. If it was me, I'd back up my data, do a fresh install without a key or activating, and then load up something else demanding to stress the hardware.

Back