• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with VLAN configurations

darrenster

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
99
Has anyone had any luck in configuring vlans in Windows XP? I’ve tried both the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter and the D-Link DGE-530T network cards. They both have 802.1q support and when I go to add the vlans to the nic through the configuration page, both cards crash the computer and create network interfaces that don’t work.

I only want one of these cards to work; they are not both in the computer at the same time.

I understand to use vlan I need a switch that supports vlan tagging. I have a Extreme Network switch and I have configured one of the ports with vlan tagging. I know the switch is configured correctly since I tested it against another switch.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks
 
I know this doesn't answer your question, but Is there a reason you can't use a second NIC? seems like that would be an easier solution if possible.
 
First, make sure you aren't trying to setup a vlan tagged NIC for what ever vlan is the native or access vlan, those will hit your NIC untagged. Personally I've never done multiple vlan setups with Windows machines but if it's crashing the box have you made sure you're using the latest drivers?
 
I know this doesn't answer your question, but Is there a reason you can't use a second NIC? seems like that would be an easier solution if possible.
Adding more NIC would be the easy way out, however, I need to access 5+ different networks and my desktop doesnt have enough slots for multiple NIC. and i dont want to go the USB NIC route.

First, make sure you aren't trying to setup a vlan tagged NIC for what ever vlan is the native or access vlan, those will hit your NIC untagged. Personally I've never done multiple vlan setups with Windows machines but if it's crashing the box have you made sure you're using the latest drivers?
I have downloaded and used the latest drivers and still ran into crashing problems.
 
make sure that you have your tagged ports and access ports correct.

the tagged ports and access ports are configured correctly. even if this wasn't done, i don't see how this could crash the computer when configuring the vlan within windows.
 
Have you tried installing the Intel PRoset configuration software that goes along with your card? Sometimes changing the vlan through the driver directly can cause issues, the software is suppose to give you vlan control, at least from what ive seen with certain adapters.
 
Adding more NIC would be the easy way out, however, I need to access 5+ different networks and my desktop doesnt have enough slots for multiple NIC. and i dont want to go the USB NIC route.

So all of these 5 networks have no routing between each other?
 
There is no routing between the networks at the moment. The end result that I'm aiming towards is to have dedicated vlans for different virtual machines.

As of today, I been on the phone with dlink trying to get this worked out. They could not figure out why the NIC won’t make vlans; even after they had remote control access to my computer. Gave up on the dlink card for now and went back to the Intel card; after calling Intel, they referred me to Intel document #029916 that looked like it solved some of the crashing issues. After following the instructions in the document I was still not able to create the virtual networks. Now I'm in the process of reformatting the computer and am going to attempt to install the virtual networks after install all the windows update but before I install any of the programs. Hopefully this will work.
 
Back
Top