need help with tightVNC

satriani5902

Limp Gawd
hey guys im fairly new to remote desktop and to routers in general. I am using tightVNC and I am behind a dlink-di624 router. I need to be able to control my parents computer while i am at college cuz they dont know what to do if something goes wrong. I have installed tightvnc on a laptop (wireless) and on the main computer. However i cant connect to my desktop. I tried using the internal address, 192.168.0.100 and tried my IP address **.**.**.100 neither worked so what am i doing wrong or do i need to configure my router software differently. thx, btw no firewall is enabled.

Assuming: client -> college -> home -> dlink (router) -> computers
Your computers are behind a firewall. The dlink firewall.
What you need to do is enable port forward.
Set the vnc servers on each computer behind the dlink router to a different port.
Be sure each computer is set with a static ip (192.168.x.x)
Then set the port forward for those ports to the correct ip address you set with a static ip on the dlink router.
Then all you should have to do from college is access the 'real' ip of your home with the port being which computer you want to access.
If you want to vnc from inside your home you have to use the 192.168 address and correct port.

Back