need help with this error

lukeh182

Gawd
when i start my computer it goes through POST then i get GRUB Hard Drive Error. WTH?!?!?! what's the deal?

btw: it's XP Pro

Could be a corrupt Windows. Try another HDD if you can or try that HDD in another set. If it doesnt work then try reformatting. And if that doesnt work then your HDD may be dying.

i hope that you're wrong about both of those things!:eek: i haven't had time to back up my stuff. and i'm not gonna be happy if i lose it all

If its just a corrupt windows install then install the HDD into another rig as a secondary HDD and load Windows from the normal HDD. Then see if you can access the files on the HDD through explorer and copy them to your other HDD before reformatting.

oh yes very good! i didn't think about that! mind tends to be blocked when all i can see is my files disappearing before my very eyes!

i've now run into a new problem. the only working HD i have right now has Win 98 SE on it and my other HD won't show up in windows. what do i do?>

get a new dirve use it as the master and use your old one as a slave and back up so you have what you want. you need to reinstall xp

maybe i didn'tsay it clearly... i can't get into my broken drive to recover any files.

my master drive (win98) doesn't recognize my broken drive

Originally posted by lukeh182
when i start my computer it goes through POST then i get GRUB Hard Drive Error. WTH?!?!?! what's the deal?

btw: it's XP Pro

hmm....sounds to me like you hard drive may be hungry:p .....ok try this:

With the current computer that you are having the problems with, try re-installing windows xp it self, with the repair option. Not the repair option at the begining, but just like you were installing it normally, it will tell you that you allready have an OS would you like to repair or remove and re-install, choose the repair option. That will make it so you wont loose anything and see if it was just some corrupt files. With any luck at all it will work, and then back-up all your stuff right away.

Good Luck

Originally posted by lukeh182
maybe i didn'tsay it clearly... i can't get into my broken drive to recover any files.

my master drive (win98) doesn't recognize my broken drive

An installed OS on a fat32 partition CAN NOT see an NTFS partition on another drive.

That is why you can't see the drive you put into your Win98 computer.

Use partition magic or something, create an NTFS partition on your Win98 computer, install XP on it and backup your data.

Back