need help with temp monitoring

Tanis143

Gawd
Ok, a very gracious friend gave me a computer upgrade (he felt bad I was running a 5 year old system). Its a MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 mobo and a AMD A6-6400K. Right now my budget is tight and after spending a bit of money I did have on a different case I didn't have the money to buy an aftermarket HSF (was going to re-use my DD cooling system til I found out the waterblock was too small for the new FM size chipsets). So, running the stock cooler. I wanted to watch the temps as I know the stock coolers suck, but so far I can not find a temp monitoring software that is accurate. I've tried speedfan (would read temps at all), CPUID (temps fluctuated so much I knew it couldn't be accurate) and CoreTemp (read the temp at idle as 0c). Any ideas? I've checked MSI's website and didn't find a program for it there, and I can't find AMD's software for monitoring the temp. So far the system seems stable, I've played Borderlands 2 for multiple hours without any glitches. But, I'm still a bit nervous. Don't want to ruin a gift from a friend.

Ok, did some more digging and found that HWmonitor does not read the APU properly (dunno if its the APU or this motherboard, hence why I posted in the mobo section). From what I've read I should ignore the package temp and go with TMPIN0 for cpu, TMPIN1 for gpu and TMPIN2 for case temps. Well, right now just doing some browsing hwmonitor is showing my cpu at 29c, gpu at 28c and mobo at 29c. This is with teh stock cooler/stock thermal paste (actual paste, not a pad this time). My case is a rosewill challenger with a 120 in front, 120 in rear and a 140 at top. Rear and top are exhaust in a negative airflow setup. Does this sound legit? I know this is a low wattage processor, but even with watercooling my old barton 2500 barely beat this on idle temps.

From their website it looks like its specific to Intel proc's. The only thing it mentions for AMD is GPU support, not CPU or APU.

Keep the room around 72-73 F, and yes played both borderlands 2 and minecraft. Max temp was 49c. And I don't know when AMD changed their stock heatsink, but this one instead of the fins being all straight up from the surface, they were horizontal from the center. Maybe AMD wised up and gave out better stock heatsinks? When I'm in bios and let it sit it gets to around 48, and I read (again, no way to completely verify) that in bios the cpu runs hot. That or I just have really good airflow though this case!

Those temps sound alright to me. Did you try to see if AIDA could get the temps for your AMD APU as they advertised in their update notes?

No, will check it out

<edit> Ok, Aida confirmed it, CPU is running between 28-29 idle, so 49-50 is my max. Very not bad for a stock AMD HSF! With these temps I won't need to get an aftermarket cooler...

Last edited:
Unless you want to overclock it... :)

I do have to say I like the AMD APUs... perhaps I need to build one next.

Try AMD OverDrive, it's where you can find temp monitoring(of course if you're looking at AMD software)

Other than that, RealTemp is the champ for me.

Back