Need help with synology remote access. At wit's end!!

amrogers3

Gawd
I recently purchased the Synology 211j. I have installed the latest firmware and followed all instructions in the user guide to be able to access the 211j via the Internet. I opened up port forwarding on my router. I am able to verify that the port is opened via canyouseeme. when I try to access via no-ip OR the Internet address I get a blank screen or page not found. I have spent hours upon hours searching google and running through the 211j interface to try and figure it out. I have set up shared folder, opened the firewall and nothing. It should not be this difficult!

I cant get it to work. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please help!

does it work on the local network?

canyouseeme just does a TCP handshake to see if it can open a connection on that particular port. it does not try to verify that the application itself is working properly. i don't know anything about the synology, but my guess would be a misconfiguration on that device. perhaps there is a setting that is only allowing the local subnet to connect (like an ACL of sorts).

Disable any firewalls while you are testing. If when you re-enable them, you run into issues, then you know where to start working backwards from.

Just cause canyouseeme says its open doesn't mean it is completely either. I've seen situations where certain firewalls (hardware based) will still block shit up in the mix till you give them a nice hard reboot, even though
Canyouseeme says its all good. Use Shields up as a backup, and if you want to, confirm what port(s) you have opened for us.

Apparently you need port 5000 and possibly 5001 both opened (http/https)

Have you rebooted your router ? If not, power cycle the networking equipment too.

Disable any firewalls while you are testing. If when you re-enable them, you run into issues, then you know where to start working backwards from.

Just cause canyouseeme says its open doesn't mean it is completely either. I've seen situations where certain firewalls (hardware based) will still block shit up in the mix till you give them a nice hard reboot, even though
Canyouseeme says its all good. Use Shields up as a backup, and if you want to, confirm what port(s) you have opened for us.

Apparently you need port 5000 and possibly 5001 both opened (http/https)

Have you rebooted your router ? If not, power cycle the networking equipment too.

The firewall on the synology device is disabled. I am testing using a computer on a separate network. I have both ports 5001 and 5000 enabled. The synology is able to register itself via NO-IP. However, I still cannot access it via the external IP address or the hostname xxxx.no-ip.org. I am looking at the connecting logs of the 2wire router and it shows an external connection going to the static IP of the synology device. But all I see on when access it via a remote computer is a blank page. Also, tried rebooting the 2wire.

there is probably something simple I am missing. But I have tried everything. Looking for any ideas you can think of.

port forwards ? I would assume that the Synology 211j, has a web interface ?

Try port forwarding that to external so you can see if you can get to it, ( only for testing )

What is your main router ?

does it work on the local network?

I can access it locally with no problem via web interface on port 5001.

My router is an AT&T 2wire.

Here is the connection log when trying access the synology remotely:

Type Date/Time Event Description
INF 2011-06-22T20:18:42-05:00 fw,fwmon src=8.23.224.110 dst=192.168.1.64 ipprot=6 sport=17570 dport=5001 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

INF 2011-06-22T20:34:30-05:00 fw,fwmon src=8.23.224.110 dst=192.168.1.64 ipprot=6 sport=13508 dport=5001 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

INF 2011-06-22T20:34:38-05:00 fw,fwmon src=8.23.224.110 dst=192.168.1.64 ipprot=6 sport=11164 dport=5001 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

INF 2011-06-22T20:34:44-05:00 fw,fwmon src=8.23.224.110 dst=192.168.1.64 ipprot=6 sport=11859 dport=5000 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

I've also enabled FTP. I can get to both 5001 and 21 internally but cannot access them remotely. The AT&T 2wire firewall log shows a connection being made to port 21. However, I don't get a response when I browse to my IP address ftp://123.123.123.123.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Date/Time Event Description
2011-06-28T18:37:11-05:00 fw,fwmon src=9.23.212.110 dst=192.168.1.74 ipprot=6 sport=25773 dport=21 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

I've also enabled FTP. I can get to both 5001 and 21 internally but cannot access them remotely. The AT&T 2wire firewall log shows a connection being made to port 21. However, I don't get a response when I browse to my IP address ftp://123.123.123.123.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Date/Time Event Description
2011-06-28T18:37:11-05:00 fw,fwmon src=9.23.212.110 dst=192.168.1.74 ipprot=6 sport=25773 dport=21 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

talk on msn / aim ? ( i help )

talk on msn / aim ? ( i help )

Thanks Dash, for some reason it is working now. I have no idea why. I never rebooted anything. I just went downstairs to use the free wifi and check it from a different network and BAM! it works. F'ing ridiculous! I bet it's that piece of @#!$* AT&T router.

Anyway, until it breaks again and I'm trying to figure out how to fix it....thanks again for the help!!

port 5000/5001 are probably not being blocked by your ISP (I'll assume thats AT&T based on the 2wire). I know on Uverse, its really as cut and dry as going into the configs and popping open the ports, then just passing the traffic to an IP.

If thats your logs, then it looks to passing the traffic just fine. dport = 21 is FTP, and packet gets passed.

There must be something else. You mind posting SS'es of your config page on your 2wire and your synology?

*annnnnnnnd punt*

Glad ya got it working.

port 5000/5001 are probably not being blocked by your ISP (I'll assume thats AT&T based on the 2wire). I know on Uverse, its really as cut and dry as going into the configs and popping open the ports, then just passing the traffic to an IP.

If thats your logs, then it looks to passing the traffic just fine. dport = 21 is FTP, and packet gets passed.

There must be something else. You mind posting SS'es of your config page on your 2wire and your synology?

*annnnnnnnd punt*

Glad ya got it working.

Howdy, yep it is truly strange. One day I can see the connection logs and I see traffic being routed to the correct host and port but all I see is blank screen and then a few days later....VIOLA! I still see the same thing in the logs but now it's working.... :confused: :mad:

Anyway, to answer your question, I wouldn't mind posting SS but now that it's working I changed the ports and such and made it *slightly* more secure. I would hate to ruin all that by posting up my new config.

If anyone needs help though, I will do the best I can trying to walk them through what I did.

Back