Need help with surround speaker placement

climber07

Limp Gawd
Need some help guys. I am getting ready to buy a home and the living room only has three walls (great room layout). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or experiences with their surround speaker placement of my Polk Audio FXi A6s when there is no side wall on one side.

Here are a couple pics of the living room with the inset entertainment alcove and open floor plan:

I'm actually considering just mounting the right surround on the back wall. Suspending it from the ceiling is probably not going to get the OK from my wife...

Here is how they are currently mounted on the side walls:

dsc03705nj.jpg

Any ideas or pics from your designs folks?

I made a drawing of the first floor area trying to figure out where to put things:

Floor Plan Drawing

Last edited:
I was actually in the exact same position as you.

I ended up ditching my rear speakers and buying new in-ceiling speakers.

They were pretty easy to install and run wires. Looks like your house is also on slab, and your air vents are in the ceiling. Should be cake as you probably have 2 feet of empty space above the ceiling.

Thanks for the reply. I have a second floor, which is a pain for running any wires due to the 2x6s. I though about in ceiling speakers at one time, but I really enjoy the performance of the dipole/bipole speakers too much to get rid of them (especially since they are only a couple of months old).

I'm thinking of making a solid bracket plate and mounting it that way. I'll have to see how it looks on the ceiling. They are 9' ceilings, so I may be able to get away with it. We'll see what my wife thinks.

Thanks for the reply and the advice.

Back