Need help with some odd display requirements

Lightworker

Limp Gawd
I've got an ongoing project at work that has some unique requirements for a few displays, and I'm having a hell of a time finding some displays that will work.

The requirements listed below are non-negotiable and yes, I know they suck.

17" Diag Size
5:4 Aspect Ratio
1x DVI-I or DVI-D input
1x VGA Input
VESA Mount compatible

I figure the native resolution for a panel like this is going to be 1280x1024, but my challenge is to find one that is capable of accepting and displaying sources up to 1920x1080. Obviously they will be scaled/distorted, but that's ok for my application.

If anybody has any leads or ideas, it'd be much appreciated. :cool:

Last edited:
GPU or monitor scaling *UP* is available, but not down.

The only way I can think of doing what you want is to use Teamviewer - get it to log onto the computer running the 1080p display and maximize it on the 17". Teamviewer will shrink the screen to fit, although you may not like the results as you are losing over half the information on the screen.

I hope you have a lot of computers and a big budget handy because you will literally need 2 per display *PLUS* a 1080p monitor on the computers the 17" are not plugged into, plus the licensing fee for Teamviewer.

What are you displaying? If it's only video have it transcoded on the fly to fit. If it is text it will be unreadable anyway.

GPU or monitor scaling *UP* is available, but not down.

The only way I can think of doing what you want is to use Teamviewer - get it to log onto the computer running the 1080p display and maximize it on the 17". Teamviewer will shrink the screen to fit, although you may not like the results as you are losing over half the information on the screen.

I hope you have a lot of computers and a big budget handy because you will literally need 2 per display *PLUS* a 1080p monitor on the computers the 17" are not plugged into, plus the licensing fee for Teamviewer.

What are you displaying? If it's only video have it transcoded on the fly to fit. If it is text it will be unreadable anyway.

Anything over a network connection is not an option, so team viewer is out.

You actually can scale down. The source I'm working with is natively 1920x1200, and it's already being scaled down to 1920x1080 for wider distribution. My problem is these few monitors can't display that, and because of existing furniture, I can't fit anything larger than a 17" LCD at these locations.

The "easy" solution is to drop in a scaler like one of these right before the input to the existing monitors to shrink the res down to 1280x1024, but that starts getting pricey after the first few instances. I was hoping to find a replacement monitor and call it a day.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I assume that aspect ratio isn't an absolute must?

I don't believe any 4:3 17" LCDs even exist. But even if you meant 5:4, you won't get 1920x1080p, as that is a 16:9 resolution -- and if scaling before it is displayed, you'd have to go the letterbox route (unless you want really weird scaling). Even a laptop screen wouldn't work really, as they will be 16:9, so won't match the dimensions of a 17" 5:4.

You can find 21.5"ers that would match that res and height vertically, but width would be quite a bit larger. And I know an Eizo 22"er can match 1920x1200. But I have no idea what 17"er would be suitable for what you want.

I assume that aspect ratio isn't an absolute must?

I don't believe any 4:3 17" LCDs even exist. But even if you meant 5:4, you won't get 1920x1080p, as that is a 16:9 resolution -- and if scaling before it is displayed, you'd have to go the letterbox route (unless you want really weird scaling). Even a laptop screen wouldn't work really, as they will be 16:9, so won't match the dimensions of a 17" 5:4.

You can find 21.5"ers that would match that res and height vertically, but width would be quite a bit larger. And I know an Eizo 22"er can match 1920x1200. But I have no idea what 17"er would be suitable for what you want.

Ahh you're correct, I meant 5:4--I'll edit the original post.

The problem with size is that I have to mount these to vertical motorized arms that can disappear into a desk which limits the overall width of the display.

The only other suggestion I can make is to buy a 17" 1080 laptop screen:

http://www.amazon.com/LAPTOP-SCREEN...TYFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301547305&sr=8-3

You would then buy a LCD controller board for it:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from=&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ssn=e-qstore&rt=nc.

How much effort do you really want to put into this?

Well a laptop LCD won't work, I'm limited on the width of the display. Custom fab displays are not an option either, this isn't a science project.

Ideally, I'd like to put about zero effort into it, which meant finding a display that could do what I needed. Problem is, the more I search, the less I find.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, we're probably going to end up dropping scalers at each one. :cool:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back