Need help with some network stuff in Linux...

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm pretty new to linux so I know practically nothing about it. I have Suse Linux 10 installed in a dual boot configuration on my work pc (I finally talked my supervisor into letting me do this).

Well, I would like to be able to connect to and authenticate my userid and password on my linux install with the network which is running Windows Server 2003. I would also like to be able to set up one of the email programs (preferrably the KDE program Kontact but Gnome's Evolution will do as well) to authenticate on the ms exchange server.

I've fiddled with my installation enough to allow me to have internet access and I can use Samba to view files on various network drives but I cannot figure out how to set up the email programs to get my work email nor can I figure out how to set it up so that when I log into either KDE or Gnome, it authenticates and allows me to connect to the rest of the network. I hope I explained that correctly.

We have a network admin guy here but he's never set up a linux connection so he's kind of stumped himself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

The Ximian Connector is an app that lets Evolution communicate with an Exchange server. It used to be a commercial product but is now bundled with Evolution.

To allow the linux box to authenticate with an Active Directory controller, you'll need to configure Samba and Winbind. Do a google search for "Samba and Active Directory" and you'll get lots of tutorials on how to do this.

Congratulations on moving to the other side.

You can also set up a kerberos client which is pretty staight forward to authenticate against active directory. samba+windbind might be a little harder to setup for a new user.

Back