• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Need help with SCSI

bandit390

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Messages
1,374
Ok, I have a drive, a card, and a cable with 3 connectors. I dont understand this terminator stuff and I dont understand why the plugs are arranged funky. Do I just plug this stuff in and it works or what?
 
If you see a big black object at the end of your cable it already has a terminator attached.
 
Drive is there and it works, problem is when I try to install windows on it, windows setup formats it and puts on the files, then it reboots, the scsi bios says its unrecognized, and windows dosent continue installing. Without changing anything else I plug in my old hd, go into windows, all the files are on the drive and its working even though the bios says it isnt.
 
What happens if you install Windows and then power off and back on and continue? I guess the card could have problems with warm booting...

The other possibility is that it's broken and you're SOL.
 
Ok, back working again.

What are other people with SCSI drives on there desktop getting for read and burst speed?
 
Right now im just using sandra and hdtach. I'll do more later.

Im using fujitsu mau 15k drive and both test are giving around the same.

Average read - 80.0mb
Average access time - 4-5ms
Burst - 110.

For comparison I also tested maxtors 16mb sata150 drive
Average read - 54mb
Average access time - 13ms
Burst - 125
 
bandit390 said:
Right now im just using sandra and hdtach. I'll do more later.

Im using fujitsu mau 15k drive and both test are giving around the same.

Average read - 80.0mb
Average access time - 4-5ms
Burst - 110.

For comparison I also tested maxtors 16mb sata150 drive
Average read - 54mb
Average access time - 13ms
Burst - 125


I have a SCSI setup on my work computer, Id have to run the test again but those numbers look about right... I think my Access time was lower, but Im not sure.
Im using an Adaptec 29160 and a Fujitsu 15 K MAS 18.4 GIG drive
 
It is entirely possible that a MAS would have a slightly faster seek time than a MAU - the MAU is a higher density, and requires more presicion in its seeks. Fujitsu made improvements to the actuator and servos, but like all of the SCSI makers, ran into issues when trying to increase density and performance while holding the line on reliability.
 
What kind of improvments would I see if I bought another and put them in raid. Would that just max out the bus?
 
Back
Top