Need help with relatively common network task

I am a total newb when it comes to networking. I want to setup a legal torrent uploading and downloading box out of my backup system (since my main system consumes way too much power power to idle on utorrent). I want to accomplish this remotely, without a need for a monitor or at least minimal input interface hardware. If it's possible, I even want to automate its program's download and upload tasks. Can someone point me to a guide that can help me accomplish what I want to do. Since I am a total newb, it would be preferable if the guide had a list of materials I need in addition to a thorough walkthrough.

So far I have my backup sytem, a copy of xp, and an 8 port ethernet hub.

I've heard good things about this VPN thing. Is this the best way to setup my 24-7 upload/download box?

A vpn is used to connect to a network over the net as if it were your local
network so it's unrelated. You should check out Utorrent, It has a feature that lets
you admin the torrents through a web browser.

Why not just use terminal services in xp? Would probably be easiest. No need for anything special. Just go to System Properties>Remote>Remote Desktop>Select Users.

Depending on what you're looking to do, you could just have the machine set to automagically start torrents that are dropped in a folder. Then set the seeding time and you're set. When you want to torrent, just drop it in the autostart folder and that's it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Someone recommended some web scripting thing. I have no idea what it is, but he said I won't even need a monitor to get my torrents up. Was it sound advice, or are terminal services still my safest bet?

My file server is up 24/7 both for sharing and for utorrent. I save any torrents I want downloaded to z:\uploads. uTorrent monitors that dir and any torrents get picked up immediately. Once done downloading the completed files get moved to another dir. Assuming I wasn't sorting the completed downloads afterwards (I am), the system could seed until the cows come home.

For administrating the box I use VNC, which I have setup on each of my machines.

Ok thanks for all the advice. Here's what I hope to do when I hook up my box to my current system.
1. I'll install XP, and hook up my PCs on a network.
2. I'll use remote services to eliminate the need for a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or any function other than the power button.
3. Run utorrent with far less power for extended periods of time.

Before I do this, I need to know:
1. Will xp home version limit me in any significant way?
2. Finally, is this task worth carrying out considering my 24-7 PC will have a p4 prescott, motherboard, a 512mb ram stick, geforce mx 440, and an 80gb raptor? Will it consume significantly less power than a 2.1ghz e6300, mobo, 2 sticks 1gb ram, 2 hard drives, 2 disk drives, sound card, stock bfg 7900gt, and 4 fans (2 LED)?

I have heard that the 3ghz prescott will offset any power I would save. I would tend to disagree since it is a single core.

You wont see too much power difference between the two but the P4 will consume less.

Back