Need Help with picking GPU

Metrea

n00b
As the title says, I am in need of help wih the final and most important piece to my build... the GPU. I am split between getting a GTX 770, R9 280x, or going the cheaper route of getting either a GTX 580, GTX 660/660ti.

I'm not a heavy gamer, but I do like to max out my games when I can. I will be playing these game on a 1080p monitor since that is all I can afford, but i do have plans to dual screen it. Most of the games that I will be playing include the following.

Counter Strike Series, RCT3, Theme Park Studio, L4D2, FEZ, Minecraft, Total War Series.

My computer is mainly for music production and little else.

this is my current system specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Case: Silverstone TJ08B-E MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Case Fan: Antec 75003 79.0 CFM 120mm Fan

Any and all suggestions would help.

None of those games are very GPU intensive, I'd think that a 770 would be overkill. The only game that a 750ti would struggle on max settings would be the Total War series. I still think that would be a good choice, although a used 660 might be a good choice too.

I agree that the 660 would be a good choice. The 660ti really isnt worth the extra money though.

Well good thing I was able to get a great deal on a GTX 670. can't wait to get it in my rig.

The GTX 600 series and above also has GameStream if you ever want to try that out.

The 670 is a beast. Especially mine ;) It easily surpasses a 680 after a small OC... You'll love it.

The 660 can accommodate all of those games at the upper limits of their graphical options, except perhaps, as mentioned, newer Total War games in 1080p, with a second screen playing a video or stream (I do so regularly with most of the mentioned titles or those technically similar, in fact). However, it's always nice to pack more than you need if you're just upgrading now, so I'd pick something with a bit more oomph, like a 760 or 670. As you mentioned that you snatched up a deal, I think it'll do great for you.

I would actually go with the Sapphire R9 280X Dual-X http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLMKNE0.

At it's current price, it offers a much better price to performance ratio than the 660-670 and also has 3GB VRAM vs. 2GB.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm confused, the 280x and 280 aren't the same thing.
280x for $292 with no rebates is pretty bangin'.

I don't see much reason to go 750Ti for much of anyone unless power consumption is important. Your PSU looks fine to me though. If you're just looking for something in that price range, I would go with a 7870Ghz or XT. Or the RX equivalents of said parts (which is iirc R9 270X and R9 280).

If you opt to go Ebay, 7870Ghz can be as low as 120. XT is around 150-170. For brand new, I just recently had a deal that ended on a brand new 7870Ghz on Newegg that was 140$ after rebate. Which is pretty much 750Ti's price point while performing much better than it does. On the Nvidia side there's the 660 or 670 or 760, I guess. But I think their resale values tend to be higher, and I don't remember seeing any good deals on the Nvidia lines recently.

I just don't care for 750 Ti's, so anything but that.

A 280x would be a good fit for what you are going to use it for, plus, the 3gb of memory
will help you out a little more also.

Somehow I thought that was someone else. It's kind of like wtf when a guy asks about card advice and then buys one within 3 posts.

Lol yeah. He did get plenty of advice and some from other forums.

I know the feeling when you are itching for a part. You want it asap. Lol

7870 will be cheaper then the NVidia cards and are not voltage locked hardwarewise which means better OCer

Back