Need help with optics question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppandemic

Gawd
Sorry, I do not know the proper terms for this subject, but...

Say I have a beam that is 6mm x 6mm and is reflected off of an engraved mirror. that beam needs to be concentrated in to a 200µm beam, while keeping the image quality.

if possible, please provide the lens dimensions :)

and to fugu, it is 100% photography related. just because you have ignorance in the subject doesnt mean you should be allowed to ban hammer every thing you fucking see. have some respect, im asking a question and really need help.

You don't provide enough information. Someone can give you a lens type, focal length etc. and it may not be usable.

When you say 6x6mm beam - do you mean it is a collimated beam or do you mean it is 6x6 at the focal plane? Ditto the concentrated image - do you want it collimated or just 200 at the focal plane?

What about colour correction? Do you need a simple, single lens design or do you need a colour corrected image?

Trivially speaking, you need a lens that will provide a 30x reduction in size.

30x reduction sounds like it and would it work better if the light was collimated before or after the reflection?

So from laser > collimater > mirror > 30x reduction lens?

Edit: I would like the 200um beam to be collimated

The only time I know of using lasers for shooting is when doing holography. What is it you are trying to capture?

If your light source is a laser, it is likely collimated already. It's entirely possible you can get what you want from a laser supplier. You may just be able to get a different collimator for the laser and produce a smaller beam.

Why do you reduce it after the mirror? Why not just produce a smaller beam at source and bounce that?

my setup im trying to build:

from laser to 6x6mm beam that can be bounced off a mirror
- the mirror has a 6x6mm engraving
from the mirror, it needs to be collimated in to a 200um beam
- must be ~99% concentrated, which means that I should be able to take the 200um beam and blow it back up in to a 6x6mm or higher beam and have the same image

what i need:

the type and dimensions of lenses to use in the collimator to achieve this.

You'll need one convex and one concave lens. However, where are you going to get the lenses if you knew the dimensions? Are you going to get these custom made? If not, you'll need to get lenses that are readily available that will also do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back