• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with new PC

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
4,308
Good-Day!

I was thinking of building an SLI-System, with an Intel Dual core 3Ghz P4, and dual 7800GT's. Now I was wondering witch would be best for FPS 2GB of 800MHz DDR2 Ram or 4GB of 533MHz DDR2 ram. Im looking for perfomence/stability for XP-Pro and my games BF2, HL2, Doom3, F.E.A.R ect.

Also on the topic witch Power unit would be best.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=22_287&products_id=3444 is this any good or did they pull a Ultra X connect... and their crappy or should I get this http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...ge=product_info&cPath=22_166&products_id=2561

Thanks!! :rolleyes: :cool:
p.s... Yes I know im gonna get "flamed" for getting Intel but I kinda like them better, and it's $200.00 cheaper the the AMD's
 
Don't cheap out after you have made the investment in hardware, get the PC P&C 510 sli.
 
the first power supply looks good. Watch out though you may get this alert message from windows pro...it has been floating around.



amdrocks.png
 
Thats ok PC... I found it funny really lol, so it sounds like the PC P&C is going to be my choice... anyone have info on the RAM?
 
The benefits of an AMD chip are that it's 64 bit(not that many things these days are 64-bit compatible) but luckily there is win x64 which works perfectly with AMD cpu's. If I were you I would get a 3700+ SD and be happy instead of a poopy intel D.
 
I agree. Amd owns offers the most bang for the buck with the athlon 64 bit cpus. If you were buying a laptop, however, this would be a different story....
 
When it comes to RAM, Intel Pentium perform better the higher the mhz are and the latency isn't that big of deal.
AMD on the other hand performs best with low latency.

So in this case I would go with the 800mhz RAM and 2gb should be enough for now, you could always add more later if needed.
 
Proxy said:
Hmmm, I found some Ram from OCz at CL2.5-3-3-7 I was thinking if I go with AMD then I would get 2GB of this and an X2 4400+. I hear that they are indeed smmoooth like the P4 with HT sooo... what do you guys think of this. http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...duct_Code=140693&Category_Code=Unbuffered_OCZ

Hmm, if I could afford an upgrade, I'd go with the X2 of some sort. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be disapointed with an X2, and if you are, I'll tell you my address and we can get rid of that issue for you. :wacko: >.> And don't worry about the Intel thing, I've always had a little thing that I like about them.
 
at the present time the 4400 x2 is the absolute best cpu for the money. You will not be disopointed with it.
 
I would rather save the $$ and purchase a 3700+ SD, personally that is best performance vs price.
 
BloodRayne said:
I would rather save the $$ and purchase a 3700+ SD, personally that is best performance vs price.

Well, I would but I hear the anything below 2.2GHz bottlenecks the 7800's in SLI because they are just that fast and I have read reviews posted here on [H]ardOCP about that.
 
You do realize that a 3700+ SD has been overclocked to 2.8 - 2.9 on air. Also you can OC the 3700 with stock cooling to about 2.5-2.6 stable with stock HSF.
 
Ahhh ok... see it's obvious that I have been using Intel up untill now lol :p
 
Back
Top