• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

need help with new home install

ocbaud

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 3, 2000
Messages
5,906
our new house closes on sept. 15. I want to get stuff wired up right after that :)

right now, all the cat5e has been dropped in the master closet with this panel in place:

http://www.amazon.com/OPEN-HOUSE-H200-MOUNTING-GRID/dp/B004T2VUL8

which is made to work with something like this:
http://www.iautomate.com/products/Open-House-Eight-Port-Data-Hub.html
It is only 6.75" wide

i would rather run a standard patch panel like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=1051402&p_id=7299&seq=1&format=2#description


I'm not sure of the best way to go about this, parts wise.
The girlfriend won't really be down for a full size rack in the closet... so something low profile would be ideal :)


I
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have used those panels in some jobs I've done. Personally, if you can, I would install the phone module into that panel and split the phones through that. The data, I would use the patch panel you linked next to the Open House Panel. Stop by Home Depot / Lowes and pick up a small piece of plywood and mount it all to that. Clean, organized and good to go. You can pick up a rackmount switch off of newegg, turn the rack ears 90 degrees and just screw it into the plywood panel. Your router can be wallmounted on the panel as well.

I did an install but in a larger house, so my panel is probably bigger than what you are probably wanting to do. Here is a pic of the finished product:

IMG_20110528_173508_small.jpg
 
Last edited:
eh
i just said screw it and ordered some stuff.

4u rack mount
16 port patch panel
and i'm procured an old cisco SR2024C rack switch to use from work :-D

we aren't going to have home phone, at all. all the drops in the house are just going to be data. when we sell the house, i can always just setup everything for ip phones and be good to go.


overkill? yes

:)
 
klesik, I wish all of the homes I did work in had that nice of wiring!
So many alarm guys think they can do phone and data wiring, it ends up as one big disaster!
Give me a nice plywood backboard to work with any day and I am happy. Those residential wiring panels end up in the dumpster!
 
Back
Top