Need help with new DSL gateway config

wamason

n00b
I recently signed up with frontiernet, and am using a Siemens 6520 as a modem/gateway and I hate it. I want to be able to bypass the 6520's built in routing/gateway functionality, and use it as a modem--nothing more. All routing/wireless/dhcp/forwarding functions should go through my WRT54GL. I do not think frontiernet uses pppoe, as I don't have a username/password, nor is there one stored in the 6520. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info. I've been there, but wasn't sure if that would work for me as the 6520 is set to "RFC-2684 Bridged/IP" instead of "pppoe", and there is no username/password information to use with my router. I'll try this anyway, as I can always reset things. Any other info would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

EDIT: I tried the instructions on the siemens site without luck, then reset the 6520, and repeated the instructions, except I selected "RFC-2684 Bridged" instead of "pppoe", and it worked like a charm. I'm finally rid of that thing! :) Thanks a bunch!

Hmm... that lasted all of ten minutes. Now I'm back to square one, and have not been able to duplicate my previous results. I did find out that frontiernet uses pppoa, and their tech support told me that there was no way to make it work.

How exactly did it only work for 10min? :) It sounds like a simular problem i've had with changing devices.

PPOA typicaly uses a mac hardware device address on the "server side" or 'provider' to make sure you dont connect 100 routers to 1 network connection. So what you will have to do is wait (up to 8 hrs) for the dang thing to start working. If you allready use 'spoof mac address' you can spoof the mac from the 'modem' into the 'linksys' and you should start working again.

Back