• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Need help with new 3tb drive

gplracer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2003
Messages
263
I bought a 3tb western digital drive. It will not show up in windows. I took it to my cousin's house to get some family photos and files. There he plugged it in with a usb adapter and it worked fine. It showed all three tbs. Here at home on both of my computers it will not show up as a drive under my computer. I have attached a picture of its status under computer management.
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt38/gplracer/3tb problem_zpssxfnz1dp.jpg

I plugged the drive into another computer with Windows 10 64 bit and got the same result.
 
Last edited:
Sorry the link should work now. It does show up in computer management. At my cousin's house it worked fine on usb. I just do not have a usb adapter here and he lives 10 hours away.
 
I assume when connected to the USB adapter you had a single 3TB GPT partition.
 
Some USB enclosures report to the OS 4K physical / 4K logical sectors even though the drive reports 512 byte logical sectors to reduce the number of sectors making GPT unneeded. Although your output does not appear to be what I would expect for that.

In either case I believe you will need the USB adapter to read the drive then copy the data to a different drive and then repartition the drive and reformat it connected to the SATA ports on the motherboard.
 
I got this all sorted out. I downloaded a free program called Testdisk. It enabled me to use a command prompt to get the files off the drive. Then I used diskpart at a command prompt and the clean command to reset the partition table on the new 3tb drive. Then I was able to assign a drive letter and start using the drive.
 
Back
Top